Author Topic: D.K. Lisle American Jaeger  (Read 1459 times)

Offline BigSkyRambler

D.K. Lisle American Jaeger
« on: May 06, 2022, 06:29:08 PM »
Hi:
New to forum.  Long time lurker. Finally registered.  I have come into possession of a beautiful Jaeger rifle built by D.K. Lisle.  While I can find information about Mr. Lisle's rifles on his web page (including this very rifle), I do not find many examples that have been for sale.  Just curious as to where in the pantheon of modern builders Mr. Lisle fits? High, Middle or Low.  This would give me the ability to compare, mostly, apples to apples as to value.  Thanks in advance.  Looking to build the collection of fine muzzleloaders I never could afford when I started out as a yonker in the 70s.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: D.K. Lisle American Jaeger
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 07:08:50 PM »
he's a member here you should ask him.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline BigSkyRambler

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 07:20:16 PM »
he's a member here you should ask him.
I posted a query to his web page.  Did not know if it was churlish of me to ask its value. And where would an individual place themselves? :)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 11:19:27 PM »
My advice for folks looking to buy contemporary guns is to buy the gun, not the maker. I’m not sure contemporary longrifles are right up there with Bitcoin (or whatever is hot now) as investments. If a person wants to show their buddies that they have a gun by so-and-so, choose buddies who really know good work and the maker won’t matter to them as much as the work itself. I keep learning about makers who really impress me. Some are up and comers and others have been doing terrific work for a long time. There are so many makers nobody knows them all.
Andover, Vermont

Offline BigSkyRambler

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2022, 12:30:23 AM »
I have developed a keenly honed ability to step in it when I go into new territory. :o  I hope my poorly thought-out query did not offend anyone, particularly Mr. Lisle whose rifle and craftsmanship I was inquiring about.  I realize that this forum is populated with many members of the exclusive club of fine longrifle builders and it was ill-conceived to ask for you to rate a fellow member. I come here to learn about the rifles and craftsmen whose quality of work were well beyond my grasp when I first got into muzzleloaders in the 70s. I now get to handle many fine guns and I suspect more than a few will have been crafted by members of this forum.

Offline jmf

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2022, 02:20:48 AM »
Keith is a great guy, and probably willing to talk to you about that rifle. Maybe send him a note?

Offline FALout

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2022, 02:38:41 AM »
I don’t think that rifle is a bad one to start a collection with.  Watch the classified section to see what other rifles are going for and set your parameters for costs from there.
Bob

Offline EC121

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2022, 03:29:10 AM »
Since you asked for opinions, I think your price for this rifle in the "For Sale" section of the other forum is at the high end of its value.  I agree with Rich that the aftermarket rifles stand on their own to a greater degree than rifles ordered directly from the builder.     
Brice Stultz

Offline BigSkyRambler

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2022, 03:52:30 PM »
I make no secret of the fact that I buy and sell guns to build my collection. The Jaeger rifles are not my style, being drawn more to longrifles and plains style rifles.  I have my eye on guns of my fancy, so hoping the Jaeger will help get me there.  No disrespect to builder. Being retired from the public history field, where they don't pay you with big suitcases full of money, I have to be creative if I want to enjoy fine rifles.  I will likely be asking lots of questions to help me in that endeavor.  :)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2022, 07:56:16 PM »
While I can't answer your questions about the builder, value and such I can tell you where that rifle belongs: In my safe!  8)
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.