Author Topic: front sight dovetail slot cut too long  (Read 1387 times)

Offline kyridgerunner

front sight dovetail slot cut too long
« on: May 06, 2022, 10:26:29 PM »
I want to change the front sight on a custom built rifle I just bought. Trouble is the dovetail slot is about 1/8" bigger than the base of the sight I want to install. Anyone have a good method to make that dovetail slot smaller? I really don't want to use JB weld or have to make another front sight.

Thanks.

Offline Stoner creek

Re: front sight dovetail slot cut too long
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 10:36:29 PM »
Make that sight base bigger. You’re not going to make that dovetail smaller. You might be able to take the sight out and swage it bigger on the bench vise. Another method, Solder should work. The other options would be to purchase a sight with a longer base or get the old hacksaw and files out and make another. I make my own front sights and it’s a pretty simple task. What part of Kentucky do you hail from?
 I would not use JB on that. I only use the stuff when I want to get under the skin of a buddy from west of the Mississippi River.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 10:43:18 PM by Stoner creek »
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 11:05:58 PM »
Another thought, why not use the original sight base? Base only, put whatever bead/blade on it.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline kyridgerunner

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2022, 12:23:36 AM »

Making another front sight and/or using the original base are definitely good options and that might be the best way. I was hoping to make that dovetail smaller so standard 3/8" bases would fit but the options for doing that seem to be fewer. Guess a guy could make and solder in a small spacer up against one edge. I was hoping someone maybe had some good tip for doing something like that.

I hail from down in Floyd County but spend part of the year just south of Ashland.

Thanks for the reply and advise.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2022, 12:39:07 AM »
Leave the dovetail alone.  It will end up looking terrible if you work on it.   

Sorry, but a correct size front sight is the answer.

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2022, 01:23:42 AM »
Just thinking out loud, but why is a 3/8 dovetail desirable? [I suggest the size of the dovetail is not very important]
Why do you want to solder on a ~$350 barrel that is already finished, in order to use a $5 front sight? [I would choose to modify the sight, not the barrel]
If you do not trust yourself to make or modify a new sight [at most an easy half-hour job], why do you trust your workmanship in modifying a $350 barrel?

Please understand I am not in any way challenging your skills, but as a teacher I am used to the Socratic method of asking questions. I intend this to be helpful, not critical.
As an "apprentice" 40+ years ago I learned to make whatever parts I needed. But I had to escape the conventional mindset that you buy everything, before I really began learning.

Wayne [Stoner creek] is giving you really good advise based on a lot of experience and skill. When he speaks, I listen!

I hope this helps, and that you keep posting your progress.
Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2022, 03:06:03 AM »
Fairly easy to just make a new front sight with a hack saw and some files to whatever size you want rather than try to make the dovetail in the barrel smaller

Offline mgbruch

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2022, 05:07:05 AM »
When it comes to either messing with a front sight or the barrel, the answer is simple.  As it has been stated, front sights are pretty easy to make.  And if you don't get the first one right, just toss it and begin again.  All you're out is some time and some little bits of metal.  If something were to go wrong with the barrel however; you can't just begiin again, and you can't undo it.  One solution is pretty simple and risk free.  The other isn't.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2022, 04:58:07 PM »
ALWAYS work on the LEAST EXPENSIVE PART. So make a sight, easily done from sheet brass and some silver solder, or modify the one that came on the rifle.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2022, 05:11:02 PM »
By the way, I’m in Paris, Bourbon County. If you need some personal assistance let me know.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline flehto

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2022, 05:37:08 PM »
Front sights are fairly easy to make from 2 pieces. Mine have the blade fitted into a slot in the base and the blade has a dia filed on which is pushed int a hole in the base and then riveted.....Fred

Offline kyridgerunner

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2022, 12:06:20 AM »

Okie dokie everyone and thanks. I've made a new front sight, installed it and and sighted it in this morning.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2022, 09:49:19 PM »
There is an old saying “without pictures it didn’t happen “.