General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Offhand Shooting Technique

(1/14) > >>

kyridgerunner:

Here's a question for you Master and Expert offhand shooters: The question is about the actual aiming technique, not breathing, stance, sight alignment etc. All of which are very important of course but there's reams of info about those particular parts of the offhand shooting procedure.

So the question is: do you physically hold the sights on target while breaking the shot. That is - use muscles to keep the sights on target - or just relax your body and let the rifle and sights naturally settle on the target. 

Thanks

poppy:
you must keep sights on target and smoothly squeeze the trigger  ,hold through .

BJH:
My method for the 2 cents it worth. Find your natural stance, feet shoulder width apart. Raise the rifle to shoulder with eyes shut, you will find a natural comfort spot. Open your eyes. Adjust your feet to align this with the target. Repeat as necessary. Raise the rifle, establish your sight picture. The gun will never really stop moving. Nothing matters but the sight picture. Squeeze when ready, continue aiming throughout the recoil, resettle on the target. Hold for a count to three. The follow through is every thing. If the shot doesn’t fall as my mental picture of the sight alignment says usually it’s due to a defect in my follow through. Or consciously pulling the trigger. The trigger break should be a surprise. There’s two cents worth. BJH

Tim Ault:
Fully agree with BJH find your natural point of aim  learned this when I shot NRA high power  quite a few years ago and I’ll second that follow through is everything with black powder guns

kyridgerunner:

Thanks everyone - but - the question was: do you physically hold the sights on the target. Guess I'm not communicating to well here. Poppy said " you must keep your sights on target", Okay,  I agree, but how are you "keeping " you sights on target? Are you physically and constantly controlling the movement of the barrel to keep those sights on target until you break the shot. Or do you just let the barrel/sights float around without any physical input on your part? Does that make sense?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version