Author Topic: Removing Tumbler  (Read 1457 times)

Offline DHouse

Removing Tumbler
« on: May 09, 2022, 10:46:57 PM »
I cannot find a thread to answer this kind-of-dumb question. I'm trying to separate the tumbler from the cock. Were there ever any locks made where this square-hole is decorative and somehow not functional(doesn't make sense for something that's hidden)? I'm using an old drill rod to try to knock out this tumbler insert and nothing is budging and I'm afraid I'm gonna damage something.

I'm going to make a brass square-shaped knocker-out-er and try that. It is the first time I'm needing to do this to a lock and it's a little surprising the amount of force needed to knock it loose.

Offline BrianS

• Starting Member
Re: Removing Tumbler
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 12:10:17 AM »
Have you let a bit of penetrating oil soak in?  Or heat the cock a bit to take advantage of heat expansion?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 01:10:57 AM »
I was going to suggest a pin and then hit it but if that won't work then maybe wedges from opposite sides will.
Is this a new made lock or an old one that hasn't been apart for a century or more?
Bob Roller

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 02:10:57 AM »
Remove all the internal parts of the lock being careful not to misplace the fly.
Open the jaws of your vice just enough for the tumbler to fit between the jaws with the plate on top of the jaws.
Using a punch that fits ON TOP of the tumbler square (not down in the screw hole) give the punch a good hit with a hammer.
A piece of cloth draped over the vice jaws to catch the tumbler saves time trying to find it if it bounces beneath the bench.
This method always separates the tumbler from the cock/hammer  without any damage.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 04:09:03 PM »
My cock remover fixture, nothing flies across the room. I had to write what it was on the block of wood because I kept throwing these away when I cleaned off my workbench. Put the tumbler in the hole with the lock plate on top of the block and tap the tumbler out of the cock with a properly sized punch.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 04:12:58 PM by Eric Krewson »

Offline DHouse

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022, 04:47:12 PM »
Thank you greatly for taking the time gentlemen. Couldn't have asked for a better group of responders! I junked the drill rod, made a brass square-punch, switched to a bench vise and voila. Came out with a firm tap of the mallet. No force or struggle. My setup was all wrong at first. Thanks for the great advice!

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2022, 08:00:13 PM »
Now that you have the tumbler out of the lock, I'd like to address putting it back in.  The first instinct is to set the cock over the square and use the tumbler/cock screw to force it onto the tumbler.  That might work, but the chances are, you'll break the screw threads off in the tumbler.
What I do is press the cock onto the tumbler using my machinist's vise and some used abrasive cloth for pads.  Once the lock is assembled, I place the cock on the tumbler square as best as I can, and then use the jaws of the vise to press the cock down onto the tumbler. 
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline duca

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2022, 02:31:44 AM »
What Taylor said, the only thing is when I tap the tumbler out I use a steel punch that’s smaller then the threads in the tumbler. I’ve been doing it that way forever with no problems.
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Birddog6

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2022, 04:15:25 AM »
I’ve punched out allot of them & after a few I made these blocks & they
were well worth the trouble. No slips, no guessing, nothing drops. The punch
stays with the blocks & I don’t have to hunt them   
The lock bolster area is cut out so the lock plate is kept flat & it locks the
Tumbler centered over the hole. Tap tap with the square end of the brass punch
on the tumbler shaft & it is out.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 12:06:59 PM by D. Keith Lisle »

Offline duca

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2022, 07:00:51 AM »
Very cool!
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline Fly Navy

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2022, 07:09:18 AM »
Some good ideas. I think I'll make a block and stop using the vise and a plastic bag to catch the tumbler.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2022, 03:47:57 PM »
Just a note...  I wouldn't suggest using a wooden block on our locks.  Our tumbler shafts are tapered a few degrees and the cocks fit pretty tight.  A vise provides more positive backing.  Also, based on the examples shown, vise jaws can be closed closer on the tumbler as compared to the bored hole in the blocks.  With a tight tumbler fit, having the support nearer to the tumbler shaft is important.

Jim

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2022, 03:49:51 PM »
It's really quite easy with a vise.  Just position the vise/tumbler such that you can close the vise jaws as much as possible.  Hook your pinky finger under the lock to catch the tumbler when punching it free of the cock. 

Jim

Offline EC121

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2022, 06:11:06 PM »
What Taylor said, the only thing is when I tap the tumbler out I use a steel punch that’s smaller then the threads in the tumbler. I’ve been doing it that way forever with no problems.

This way will usually work.  But when it doesn't, it punches out the bottom of the tumbler screw hole. 
Brice Stultz

Offline LynnC

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2022, 06:58:18 PM »
Jim set me straight as well. I too once thought it was the way to do it. No punch in threaded hole per mr Chambers
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......