General discussion > Gun Building

Removing Tumbler

<< < (3/3)

Fly Navy:
Some good ideas. I think I'll make a block and stop using the vise and a plastic bag to catch the tumbler.

Jim Kibler:
Just a note...  I wouldn't suggest using a wooden block on our locks.  Our tumbler shafts are tapered a few degrees and the cocks fit pretty tight.  A vise provides more positive backing.  Also, based on the examples shown, vise jaws can be closed closer on the tumbler as compared to the bored hole in the blocks.  With a tight tumbler fit, having the support nearer to the tumbler shaft is important.

Jim

Jim Kibler:
It's really quite easy with a vise.  Just position the vise/tumbler such that you can close the vise jaws as much as possible.  Hook your pinky finger under the lock to catch the tumbler when punching it free of the cock. 

Jim

EC121:

--- Quote from: duca on May 16, 2022, 02:31:44 AM ---What Taylor said, the only thing is when I tap the tumbler out I use a steel punch that’s smaller then the threads in the tumbler. I’ve been doing it that way forever with no problems.

--- End quote ---

This way will usually work.  But when it doesn't, it punches out the bottom of the tumbler screw hole. 

LynnC:
Jim set me straight as well. I too once thought it was the way to do it. No punch in threaded hole per mr Chambers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version