General discussion > Gun Building

Removing Tumbler

<< < (2/3) > >>

DHouse:
Thank you greatly for taking the time gentlemen. Couldn't have asked for a better group of responders! I junked the drill rod, made a brass square-punch, switched to a bench vise and voila. Came out with a firm tap of the mallet. No force or struggle. My setup was all wrong at first. Thanks for the great advice!

D. Taylor Sapergia:
Now that you have the tumbler out of the lock, I'd like to address putting it back in.  The first instinct is to set the cock over the square and use the tumbler/cock screw to force it onto the tumbler.  That might work, but the chances are, you'll break the screw threads off in the tumbler.
What I do is press the cock onto the tumbler using my machinist's vise and some used abrasive cloth for pads.  Once the lock is assembled, I place the cock on the tumbler square as best as I can, and then use the jaws of the vise to press the cock down onto the tumbler. 

duca:
What Taylor said, the only thing is when I tap the tumbler out I use a steel punch that’s smaller then the threads in the tumbler. I’ve been doing it that way forever with no problems.

Birddog6:
I’ve punched out allot of them & after a few I made these blocks & they
were well worth the trouble. No slips, no guessing, nothing drops. The punch
stays with the blocks & I don’t have to hunt them   
The lock bolster area is cut out so the lock plate is kept flat & it locks the
Tumbler centered over the hole. Tap tap with the square end of the brass punch
on the tumbler shaft & it is out.

duca:
Very cool!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page