General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

.58 double rifle questions

(1/5) > >>

Chocktaw Brave:
Correct me if I’m outside of the forum please. I just picked up this Pedersoli Kodiak double. Muzzle-loading percussion rifle. It is in superb shape, and very well made.
My question is, are shotgun barrels available for these? I’ve seen the newer version of this rifle advertised with both.
I haven’t shot it yet because I have no number 11 caps. Will have to find some or convert it to use other ignition type.
Thank you.

Shovelbuck:
I checked into this probably 25 years ago and at that time their shotgun barrels would interchange with the rifles. The barrels were available from Pedersoli but were very expensive. Because of that, I didn't get a set. I don't know if they are still available.

Chocktaw Brave:
I did write an email to the factory as well, but no answer yet.  I Did not see anything on the website about it.
I was also wondering, if like a revolver cylinder, the frame would have to be sent in for fitting the new barrel.

Daryl:
I had one of those, looked a bit different and then I altered it by removing the cheek piece. I guess mine was an earlier gun.
Got it to regulate with both .562" and .574" round balls, both loaded with .021" and .022" denim patches loaded with 100gr. and 110gr. 2F.
With 100gr. it put both barrels into one group at 50yards, and with 110gr. it shot parallel (true & perfect regulation).
With 85gr. 2F it crossed by 2 1/2" with the barrels shooting to different heights & with 120gr., it crossed again by 2 1/2" with the barrels shooting
different heights, opposite to the 85gr. charge.
It was fun making rights, then lefts on the gongs in rapid succession. boom-clang -- boom-clang.
A fun gun. I was just lucky with the regulation, though. I have "heard" not one other person getting them to regulate, which is likely why they have
2 sets of sights, each one to be zeroed for one barrel. Really weird.

Daryl:
Oh yeah - I removed a 1 pound bar of lead from under the butt plate, put there by the manufacturer.
After that and the stock modifications, it handled beautifully and was quite accurate. I shot it well.
I removed one of the sights on mine as it wasn't needed and filed out the rear sight blade to a shallow V
which I prefer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version