Author Topic: L. Poole and A.W. Lenhart Rifle  (Read 1873 times)

Offline BigSkyRambler

L. Poole and A.W. Lenhart Rifle
« on: May 11, 2022, 12:50:58 AM »
This is one of the rifles I have added to my "keeper" collection, as it fits me well and seems well executed.  (photos from auction, as they are much nicer than I can take). The builders were L. Poole and A.W. Lenhart from the Bend, OR area, I have been told. I was also told they were well known competitive ML shooters in the region.  Is anyone familiar with these gentlemen or other rifles they may have built?

Offline Ron Scott

Re: L. Poole and A.W. Lenhart Rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 03:11:22 PM »
I met both  Gun Makers in the late 70s. Pool was elderly and taught Lenhart the trade. Lenhart ceased building in the early 90s. I am not sure that they were from Bend. I seen to recall closer to Portland. Susie at the Gun works (Springfield Or) would have better info.

Offline BigSkyRambler

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 03:26:31 PM »
Thanks!  I forgot all about The Gun Works.  Used to go there when I lived in Oregon in the late 90s.

Offline SDH

• Starting Member
    • Fine Gunmaking
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2022, 01:10:05 AM »
Looie Poole and Bill Lenhart from the Portland, OR area. Looie was an older, longtime ML gunmaker that took Lenhart into his shop probably in the 1970s(?) at the end of his career. Lenhart was a quick study and the quality of his guns surpassed Poole by a fair margin. Bill was always quite reticent about his work but I always thought it quite good and his engraving excellent. I lost track of all ML info in the 1980s as I transitioned into building cartridge guns.
 I am revisiting an early part on my past as I ease into retirement after a 40-year as career as a fulltime custom gunmaker.

Offline BigSkyRambler

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2022, 02:09:44 AM »
Thanks for all the information on the builder's. It is a really fine rifle.