Author Topic: My First Christian Springs Gun  (Read 1420 times)

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
My First Christian Springs Gun
« on: August 08, 2022, 07:11:43 AM »
I’m finally starting to get it whittled down.  This has been an enjoyable build. 

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Re: My First Christian Springs Gun
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 07:21:03 AM »
Looks like you are off to a great start!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 03:39:18 PM »
Good morning bro! Good to see you back attit!
Looks good.
Betcha can't build just One!
Hahahaha
How ye be?  8) 8)
Best regards, Dave

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 07:06:05 AM »
Thanks Dave.  I’ve been good.  I’ve been busy at work and running the kids around for sports.  Seems like we are in Lexington or Louisville every weekend. This is my 5th gun from a plank.  I took some time off while working on home projects but continued to study Christian Springs guns.  Part of the fun for me is reading and studying these guns before diving in.  Hope you and your family are doing well.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2022, 01:48:45 PM »
Talk about starting off on the right foot...

Could you share what architecture and build features will be in this gun to make it a marked Christian Springs piece?

Thanks

Capgun

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2022, 05:22:55 PM »
Talk about starting off on the right foot...

Could you share what architecture and build features will be in this gun to make it a marked Christian Springs piece?

Thanks

Capgun

Sir,

I patterned the gun from the "Lion and Lamb" rifle and I plan to use a lot of features from the "Griffin" rifle.  I had to modify it quite a bit to reach the 13 1/2" LOP that I desired but, it's working out.  It will have the "Lion" carving and the "Lamb" patch box.  I like the swelled entry pipe area from a rifle in RCA vol. 1 rifle and plan to incorporate that in the build.  Most of the carving that I've done in the past has been incised.  I plan to have quite a bit of relief carving on this one.  I like the star from the Griffin rifle more so than the lion and lamb rifle so,  it will probably have a nice brass fancy star on the cheek piece.  I would use silver but,  I used silver on my Herman Rupp rifle and think the brass will contrast well with that rifle.  I'd love to put a thumb piece on it but,  It depends on my tang carving.  Wire would be nice too but,  I'll have to see where it goes once I come to that point.  It's a 20 gauge oct/round barrel.  I'm using a trigger guard from an RCA vol. 1 gun.  It has a Dale Johnson lock that I tuned and modified some.  The entire purpose of this rifle is for hunting.  I don't get a lot of time to hunt and got pretty discouraged with trying to hit squirrels with my rifles the last couple years.  I figured I'd build this gun and have at it.  Hopefully it will bring back memories of when I was kit biting into lead shot from the squirrels my mother cooked. 

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2022, 05:47:33 PM »
Cool beans man
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2022, 04:09:06 PM »
Looks good. 

Cory Joe

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2022, 08:19:35 AM »
The bump out area, dog knot or whatever you call it on these guns has given me fits.  It looked simple in the books but has been a bear.  I’m going on four days of fiddling with it.