Author Topic: Asymmetrical Wrist Carvings  (Read 1243 times)

Offline redware

• Starting Member
Asymmetrical Wrist Carvings
« on: August 09, 2022, 01:47:48 PM »
Being new to the world of longrifles, I was wondering how common it is for the wrist carving on one side of the wrist (just under or forward of the stock comb) to be different from the carving on the other.

I understand that Rococo styling prioritizes asymmetrical carving, but I was also under the impression that Colonial design valued symmetry.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Asymmetrical Wrist Carvings
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 02:16:10 PM »
Hi,
Usually, the carving right under the comb is symmetrical around the front of it but the lead up to it can vary side to side because the cheek piece side has a different shape than the other side.  The symmetry and asymmetry of carving was likely more to do the the shape of the spaces filled rather than strict adherence to some artistic style.

dave

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline redware

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022, 05:44:46 PM »
Thank you!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 11:08:08 PM »
refer to originals.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline flehto

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 09:40:31 AM »
The wrist carving on all my LRs  varies somewhat on each side. The starting point for each side is different.....one starts at the cheekpiece and the other side doesn't. Most of  my  wrist carving  naturally  isn't  that complicated or extensive as  that behind the cheekpiece....a lot less area....Fred
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 09:48:03 AM by flehto »

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2022, 02:29:41 PM »
Can a full time rifle builder today make enough money on the finished rifle to really pay for his time.
I was talking to Jud Brennan a few years ago at the CLA Show and he had an elaborately carved rifle
that was to be picked up at that show. I made the comment that he could have made 6 good,plain rifle
in the time it took to make that one.He said,"More than 6".Does anyone know if Jud will be there this
year??
Bob Roller