Author Topic: Goof ups in building.  (Read 4100 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Goof ups in building.
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2022, 04:08:19 PM »
I drilled a vent hole all the way through and out the other side of the barrel on my last rifle. I asked the guys on the M/L forum if I could dill it to 8-32 or 10-32 then tap and plug the hole with a grade 8 screw installed with red Loctite and be safe. The late Zonie on the M/L Forum site was an expert on making strength calculations, he did the math and said my plug would be 10 times stronger than any pressures I would build in the barrel from shooting it.

I proceeded with the fix which turned out invisible once I slightly countersunk the hole, peened the screw into it and draw filed the area down. This was a C weight barrel with very thick metal at the breech.

TC drilled through on every percussion barrel breechplug they made so I trust my fix completely.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2022, 08:06:32 PM »
The breech plugs on high end long range rifles have plugs drilled all the way across and cleverly plugged and covered with engraving.
Don Brown had X ray pictures of his original Alex Henry and it certainly had been drilled from one side and out the other.This allows the nipple seat to be protected from the much higher pressures generated by 100 grains of fine black powder goosing a 550 grain bullet from
under the front sight. The nipple seats on a shoulder with a flash hole that prevents all the pressure from the nipple.
  In the case of modern application like the TC the screw can be removed and then if need be,the gun can be primed in case of a misfire.
Bob Roller

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2022, 12:00:03 AM »
Wayne, aka "Stoned Creeker", said:  " I made a gun one time for a feller who was a plumb “A-hole”..
 Was that a mistake???"

Wayne, I think that guy was an off-plumb "A-hole".

Otherwise, I am like Mike Brooks, and have also never made a misteak.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.