Author Topic: Barrel support thing....  (Read 961 times)

Offline Martin S.

Barrel support thing....
« on: May 18, 2022, 04:50:17 AM »
I am going to a ML building class.  I would like to have a barrel support, similar to what is seen in the Kibler videos.  I have the swivel vise, but not the support.

I tried to search this forum, and got lots of hits for "support", but not what I need to see.  Does anyone have plans or a source to buy a support to build a muzzleloader?

Can anyone post pics of what they use and how they built it?

Thank you!

Martin

Offline Ats5331

Re: Barrel support thing....
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 04:54:35 AM »
My set up has the rifle always having a good bit over the bench. I just use a couple of old 4x4's to prop it up. Cheap and effective.

Offline coopersdad

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 05:39:18 AM »
I made this support prior to my first class several years ago and I really like it.  It's made of 2x4s.  It's light and easy to move around, but plenty sturdy.  The main upright is grooved for the T-post support, which has a carriage bolt through it. The bolt fits through a groove in the upright so the post can be adjusted up and down,and is locked by the knob.  I covered the support with some scrap leather, but anything soft would work I'd think.   When part of the gun is over the bench, I also use some blocks to support the rifle. 

upload

Mike Westcott

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 06:42:54 AM »
I bought one of these and replaced the metal roller with an old wooden rolling pin so that it still acts as an outfeed (theoretically). In lieu of a wooden rolling pin I would use a section of 2x4 that is attached through the mounting holes via wood screws, I wouldn't tighten them up all the way so that you could still adjust the orientation, and then I would glue on another length of 2x4 on top of that one so that your project clears the metal frame.

That being said, I've found no reason to use anything other than my vice sized block of wood. Though I believe my idea has merit to it?

Offline Hatchet-Jack

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 01:47:54 PM »
But a microphone stand with a heavy metal base. Cut a piece of 2X4, drill a hole, wrap the end of the mic stand with some duct tape, cover the wood with some leather. You have a simple adjustment stand.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 01:58:10 PM »
Hi,
Mine is very robust.  It is made from blocks of hard maple and has a 3/4" pin on the bottom so it can be moved from hole to hole on my bench and rotated.  Leather is nailed to the top to protect the stock.  I made it heavy so it does not bounce if I am inletting or chiseling the stock when it is resting on top of it yet I can move it around as needed. 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Birddog6

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2022, 02:57:06 PM »

These make a decent stand if mounted to a good heavy wood base.

I cut a square hole in my work bench in 2 places & use one of these for support at the drill press for drilling the tangs & etc.
I can adjust it up & down to get the drill bit the angle i want into the tang or whatever.  And it just lifts out of the bench for storage & remove it when necessary.. I'll try to find a photo of it.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2022, 03:51:55 PM »
I just bolted a post on the end of my workbench and covered the top of it with leather.

Offline john bohan

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2022, 11:34:28 PM »
an old sizzor jack from a car works well, bolt a pcs. of wood on top with a pad.