Author Topic: Flat horn with a interesting cord  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Dutch Blacky

Flat horn with a interesting cord
« on: May 25, 2022, 09:56:19 AM »
From a good friend I got a flat, small powder horn, which he bought with a few antique pistols. The horn is kept quite simple, but has a special feature: The cord is obviously made of blond human hair, perhaps a love gift of a girl for her darling. I wish this horn could talk.

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Flat horn with a interesting cord
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2022, 06:48:18 PM »
 The horn looks as though it either has been scraped, or sanded. No when used long with black powder is going to be that white.

Hungry Horse

Offline Dutch Blacky

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2022, 08:37:38 PM »
You are probably right  @Hungry Horse. I am not shure, where this horn comes from. Maybe from south  eastern Europe?

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 03:08:39 PM »
Cords of hair were common at least thru the Civil war era for sweethearts/husbands headed to war. Women did not normally cut their hair then, so loooooong hair was quite common.
Psalms 144

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 03:15:52 PM »
I am not sure, where this horn comes from. Maybe from south  eastern Europe?
You should clip a couple of strands and send them to one of the DNA testing sites.  This could tell you where it came from and possibly lead to some ancestors of the hair's owner.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2022, 06:25:44 PM »
I am not sure, where this horn comes from. Maybe from south  eastern Europe?
You should clip a couple of strands and send them to one of the DNA testing sites.  This could tell you where it came from and possibly lead to some ancestors of the hair's owner.

That would be very, very, interesting. Great idea.

Offline Dutch Blacky

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2022, 08:21:05 PM »
thanks for the statement that "Cords of hair were common at least thru the Civil war era for sweethearts/husbands headed to war." I did not know that, but it seems to me evident.

IMHO
The genome analysis would not prove anything. People  have been migrating from east to west, and from  west to the east. (By example Donauschwaben migrated  frpm southweanstern  Germany to the Banat in  Rimabia or Serbia, and they also immigrated to the USA. Pennsylvania Dutch came from all over Middle and Eastern Europe.

It might have  be also a gift for a beloved man, who emigrated "to the Americas"  (ins Amerika)

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2022, 05:00:02 AM »
It may not tell where the horn originated, but it still might prove interesting to follow the genealogy to see where it leads. There is still some connection between the person who's hair was used and the history of that horn. Their may also be someone in that family who finds the horn and its story interesting.

Offline Dutch Blacky

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2022, 11:22:55 AM »

It may not tell where the horn originated, but it still might prove interesting to follow the genealogy to see where it leads. There is still some connection between the person who's hair was used and the history of that horn. Their may also be someone in that family who finds the horn and its story interesting.

Well, you "hit the center of the target" @Brokennock.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2022, 01:56:06 PM »

Well, you "hit the center of the target" @Brokennock.
I wish I had the money to help pay for the testing.

Offline Dutch Blacky

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2022, 03:31:23 PM »
In the EU, esp. in Germany,  there are legal restrictions concerning  the  genetic analysis,   genetic data and using these data. (General Data Protection Regulation
REGULATION (EU) 2016/679 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 27 April 2016
on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC)
You are not allowed to analyze the genome of a person without the consent of this person. No medical or genetic lab will  do a genetic analysis without the concerning  documents. The fine ist up to 50 Million €
Furthermore legally there are no public data available for comparing the genetic sequences. To find relatives, you got to have their genetic data. Its about the same procedure like the genetic analysis of parenthood.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2022, 02:46:50 PM »
In the EU, esp. in Germany,  there are legal restrictions concerning  the  genetic analysis,   genetic data and using these data. (General Data Protection Regulation
REGULATION (EU) 2016/679 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 27 April 2016
on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC)
You are not allowed to analyze the genome of a person without the consent of this person. No medical or genetic lab will  do a genetic analysis without the concerning  documents. The fine ist up to 50 Million €
Furthermore legally there are no public data available for comparing the genetic sequences. To find relatives, you got to have their genetic data. Its about the same procedure like the genetic analysis of parenthood.
Good grief 😔