Author Topic: Trigger Group Inlet  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Mule Brain

• Summerville, SC
    • Charles Towne Long Rifles Black Powder Club
Trigger Group Inlet
« on: May 21, 2022, 06:26:16 AM »
I felt like I was digging to china to get this trigger plate inlet. I have done around four of these, and none were this tough.
This is a standard set of double triggers, and I thought of trying to heat it to bend it. This stock is a Beck, and the rest of the build
is going well. Do I need to shave down the underside of the stock now?  This is a pre carve from Mark Weader

Those Without Arms Cannot Defend Freedom

South Carolina's Oldest Black Powder Club

https://charlestownelongrifles.com/

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Trigger Group Inlet
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022, 02:16:45 PM »
I would fill the inlet with wood, bend trigger plate to match curvature of stock belly and re- inlet. In my opinion you will never make it look right without bending the trigger plate.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mule Brain

• Summerville, SC
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 02:36:37 PM »
I would fill the inlet with wood, bend trigger plate to match curvature of stock belly and re- inlet. In my opinion you will never make it look right without bending the trigger plate.
Dennis

That is what I was thinking, need to heat it up and bend it some. I can fix that inlet, no problem

Offline FALout

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2022, 03:02:44 PM »
Just be ready to make changes to triggers/ spring after bending, it may alter how set triggers work.  Sometimes it’s better to do this before inletting.
Bob

Offline Mule Brain

• Summerville, SC
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2022, 03:17:49 PM »
Just be ready to make changes to triggers/ spring after bending, it may alter how set triggers work.  Sometimes it’s better to do this before inletting.

Thanks for the tip, and was thinking about that.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2022, 04:16:17 PM »
I have never had to heat those up to bend them.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Online Stoner creek

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2022, 04:28:18 PM »
It would be helpful to see a side view of the stock. It might be really thick there under the lock mortise and through the wrist so that you could make some of the deep hole go away with a rasp. If it’s a precarve they almost always leave you too much wood there.
 If you bend it cold don’t use the area around the trigger pins as your fulcrum point. The trigger plate will crack there.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 04:36:00 PM by Stoner creek »
Stop Marxism in America

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2022, 04:54:40 PM »
I agree it would be interesting to see the side profile. I do not think I’ve ever had to bend one that far.   ???

Have you used this pattern before, where did it come from?

Just curious ,
Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2022, 05:02:01 PM »
Check to make sure the plate fits properly between the posts on the guard before re-inletting it, a lot of plates have to be shortened up with a hacksaw to fit.

Offline kutter

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2022, 05:52:18 PM »
If you don't want to bend the plate and then add wood in the inlet and then re-inlet the new/bent plate,,,and wonder if bending the plate will screw up the mechanics of the DST...

Another way is to leave the inlet just like it is.
Leave the trigger plate and DSt just the way they are.

The trigger plate is nice and flat.
Take a piece of plain CRS or 12L14 that is the width of the plate,,or file /mill it do the width.
File one edge flat to match the trigger plate so it extends from the point where the orig trigger plate startes to dissapear below the inlet then right to the end of the trigger plate.

Place the DST into the stock.
Place this piece of metal down onto the trigger plate so it sits onto it squarely.
Now scribe a line on that metal all around at the orig wood line.

Take the metal piece and hacksaw what will be a wedge shape piece out of it,,cutting outside of the scribe mark to give you some extra metal for final fit.

Now that piece is just soft soldered,,sweat soldered to the trigger plate in the correct position.
You can additionaly use a couple small screws to hold it coming in from the inside of the DST plate. But a solid well
fitted sweat solder joint is really all you need.

Use lead/tin solder as any thin line of solder that shows will turn to a dark grey color
The new(er) Tin/Silver soft solder are forever white.
The trigger guard curl at the back of the bow will cover the joint where the two pieces join if you plan it right anyway.

Trim and shape the excess metal on the new filler block to the wood. It'll look just like the trigger plate when done.

Yes it'll add an oz or 2 to the over all weight of the rifle,,big deal. So do a handfull of extra lead balls in a patch box.

A screw used to hold the rear of the trigger plate in place in the inlet will just be a bit longer than usual and have to go though the new wedge shape filler and the orig trigger plate.

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2022, 06:04:29 PM »
Simplest fix was suggested by Mr. Dennis. I’m with Mike I’ve ever heated one of these to bend either.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2022, 06:29:08 PM »
Be careful bending a trigger bar.The PIN and SCREW holes can collapse.Put the screws and pins in the bar after removing the triggers.
I can usually custom bend a trigger bar BEFORE it's milled and slotted IF I know the curve and sear location.Costs about $10 extra.
Bob Roller

Offline Mule Brain

• Summerville, SC
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2022, 09:42:23 PM »
I bent the trigger plate cold, and got a good fit. They operate like they should too
I will get the side profile pics for ya

Regards and thanks all

Offline DavidC

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2022, 06:42:18 PM »
Got some pics for us? I hope this worked out well for you.