Author Topic: Scrimshawed Powder Horn  (Read 2345 times)

Offline Fullstock longrifle

Scrimshawed Powder Horn
« on: May 21, 2022, 07:56:24 PM »
A horn in my collection that I’ve always been curious about. It has the name William Croshaw on it along with some nicely done designs, one in particular I’d like to know more about. It’s numbered 1-8 and it looks like it could be some sort of period game. Anybody know what it is?

« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 09:14:58 PM by Fullstock longrifle »

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Scrimshawed Powder Horn
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022, 08:27:56 PM »
 Neat horn, can't help with the numbers but the butt looks like there is a couple letters carved it in "JH" maybe. The number of staple holes have obscured the others if any.

Tim C.

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 09:01:07 PM »
Neat horn, can't help with the numbers but the butt looks like there is a couple letters carved it in "JH" maybe. The number of staple holes have obscured the others if any.

Tim C.

Good point Tim, thank you. I believe the initials on the butt belonged to a later owner, if you enlarge the photo it looks like it also has the date 1857 on it.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 09:16:31 PM by Fullstock longrifle »

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2022, 10:48:17 PM »
Very nice horn with interesting work. Since I focus on Midwestern horns, I am only speculating on this one. The small images of a winged "$#*! horse" [the system refuses to accept the first word, "7734" inverted, and replaces with symbols] and a mermaid/siren with lantern suggest an eastern horn, as does what seems to be a soft wood plug. I can see why you like this one, well covered and interesting images... and a name to research.

I'm probably out in left field on this one, but the rectangle with angles lines and numbered banner reminds me of a couple early "developmental" Tansel horns by the sons, probably done when first starting to carve and before they had fully developed their carving skills. A couple such horns have small areas of "practice" work, often with letters or numbers or small "pieces" of images, that [to me] suggest it was done before carving the more important figures on the horn that used some of those numbers, letters, or line styles.

Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 11:40:45 PM by Tanselman »

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2022, 11:38:12 PM »
In style of the scrimshaw, this horn appears to me to be before the War of 1812. Outstanding horn.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 12:25:40 AM »
 The more I look at it I'm thinking it was done by more than one hand through its life. The Owl and the fish along with the geometric carvings could be Indian, not made but owned, maybe picked up after an encounter or raid. Just a thought. Another Great horn, Thanks for the Pix.

Tim 

PS: I'm not bashful...What else ya got hiding ;D  TC 

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2022, 12:45:34 AM »
Very nice horn with interesting work. Since I focus on Midwestern horns, I am only speculating on this one. The small images of a winged "$#*! horse" [the system refuses to accept the first word, "7734" inverted, and replaces with symbols] and a mermaid/siren with lantern suggest an eastern horn, as does what seems to be a soft wood plug. I can see why you like this one, well covered and interesting images... and a name to research.

I'm probably out in left field on this one, but the rectangle with angles lines and numbered banner reminds me of a couple early "developmental" Tansel horns by the sons, probably done when first starting to carve and before they had fully developed their carving skills. A couple such horns have small areas of "practice" work, often with letters or numbers or small "pieces" of images, that [to me] suggest it was done before carving the more important figures on the horn that used some of those numbers, letters, or line styles.

Shelby Gallien

Thank you Shelby, and yes, I see what you mean. I sent pictures to Gordon Barlow and he found that a William Croshaw was in the Virginia Militia and received a pension for his service, so it could have a Virginia connection.

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2022, 12:48:52 AM »
The more I look at it I'm thinking it was done by more than one hand through its life. The Owl and the fish along with the geometric carvings could be Indian, not made but owned, maybe picked up after an encounter or raid. Just a thought. Another Great horn, Thanks for the Pix.

Tim 

PS: I'm not bashful...What else ya got hiding ;D  TC

Thank for your thoughts on it Tim, I appreciate your input. I might have a few more tucked away, I’ll post a few now and then. 😉
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 01:03:50 AM by Fullstock longrifle »

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2022, 12:51:59 AM »
 Thanks, look forward to seeing them. TC

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2022, 05:03:07 AM »
Very interesting horn. There's a  lot going on.   Is that a wild hog looking up that guys skirt?  Thanks for posting it.  Jim
JIM

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2022, 05:47:49 AM »
Very interesting horn. There's a  lot going on.   Is that a wild hog looking up that guys skirt?  Thanks for posting it.  Jim

That’s what it looks like to me too Jim.

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2022, 01:00:41 AM »
So much to see in this horn! Those numbers in the graph looks like it could be a map of a parcel of land. I have seen something like that on old maps from my hometown in NJ.
I like the animals- the owl and the two fish in the pond. The guy with the horn chasing the winged horses or what ever... Really creative and delightful things on that horn :-)

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2022, 01:08:52 AM »
That feature looks like a horn blowing centaur chasing a griffin. Pretty creative! Good horn, great art; any idea when it was made? I didn't see a date anywhere I looked. The gentleman's clothing and his top hat appears to be 1800s sometime.
Dick

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2022, 03:33:01 PM »
That feature looks like a horn blowing centaur chasing a griffin. Pretty creative! Good horn, great art; any idea when it was made? I didn't see a date anywhere I looked. The gentleman's clothing and his top hat appears to be 1800s sometime.
Dick

No date Dick, but I did see where similar hats could be a bit earlier, I’m thinking late 1700’s.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2022, 08:20:14 PM »
Thanks Frank. Those dates work for me. I have an undated, unsigned horn with three hunting scenes and the hunters are attired much as your hunter is, hat and all. You have a very fine horn there with a lot of good art. Thank you for showing it here.
Dick

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2022, 10:04:06 PM »
So much to see in this horn! Those numbers in the graph looks like it could be a map of a parcel of land. I have seen something like that on old maps from my hometown in NJ.
I like the animals- the owl and the two fish in the pond. The guy with the horn chasing the winged horses or what ever... Really creative and delightful things on that horn :-)

Interesting, I never thought that it could be of a land parcel. Thanks!

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2022, 07:54:09 PM »
In style of the scrimshaw, this horn appears to me to be before the War of 1812. Outstanding horn.

Thank you Rich and yes, I’m thinking late 18th century.

Offline Longknife

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2022, 03:51:41 PM »
The figure holding the long rifle resembles the attire of the figure in the Journals of Patrick Gass.

Ed Hamberg