Author Topic: Any one have any luck on spring bears?  (Read 1115 times)

Offline smylee grouch

Any one have any luck on spring bears?
« on: May 22, 2022, 04:41:09 AM »
We have seen a few pics of some nice spring Turkey's but has any one had any luck on spring bears yet?

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
Re: Any one have any luck on spring bears?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 02:10:45 PM »
No, but the one raiding the bird feeders is getting close...Unfortunately no spring bear hunting in PA.
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2022, 03:30:52 PM »
Va dont have a Spring Bear season.  It's to protect the cubs. 
iloco

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2022, 04:48:53 PM »
We have seen a few pics of some nice spring Turkey's but has any one had any luck on spring bears yet?

Most of us try to avoid them ;D ;D along with skunks and copperhead snakes.
Bob Roller

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2022, 07:25:27 PM »
My buddy guided a few clients this spring for bears. All of them filled their tags. We have an overabundance of them around here.
It is illegal to shoot a "bear" in the company of cub(s). That is to protect the young.  Very early spring bears have the best, most
luxuriant & longest fur/hair. Later in the spring, they get rubbed pretty badly. With such a long cold spring, they should be still in
fairly good shape.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline snapper

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2022, 04:32:35 PM »
My Canada trip was canceled.   To cold and we’re still hibernating

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2022, 05:44:33 PM »
I was in Manitoba's D uck Mts. from May 7-14. The bears were out and  we saw lots. The 4 roads going into camp ( east, west, north and south ) were starting to wash out so we had to leave early but we still went 3 for 4.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2022, 03:07:09 AM »
A fellow and his wife got attacked by a black bear, in their home, in Minnesota just today or yesterday, seems to me. Does that count?
It got shot inside the house. Good thing he had "one" handy. They were chewed up some though.
https://www.ammoland.com/2022/05/sig-9mm-and-knife-used-to-stop-bear-attack-in-rural-wi-home/

As to bear attacks: We (Forest Service Officers) learned from an expert in the field (Gary Shelton), bears attack for basically 4 reasons.
Protection of territory, protection of cubs, protection of food source & predation(attack you as a potential food source).
We learned, that black bear attacks are more often predatory than grizzly bear attacks.
We also learned that 90% of all black bear attacks turn predatory as the attack ensues, no matter the initial cause of the attack.
With grizzlies, this does happen, but rarely & that if a sow grizzly with 2 year old cubs attacks, that attack may turn predatory as the cubs join in.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 03:24:29 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2022, 03:15:20 AM »
Yep, another strong argument for managing wildlife. It would be nice if the anti's would admit it.  ;)

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2022, 03:48:13 AM »
A fellow and his wife got attacked by a black bear, in their home, in Minnesota just today or yesterday, seems to me. Does that count?
It got shot inside the house. Good thing he had "one" handy. They were chewed up some though.
https://www.ammoland.com/2022/05/sig-9mm-and-knife-used-to-stop-bear-attack-in-rural-wi-home/

As to bear attacks: We (Forest Service Officers) learned from an expert in the field (Gary Shelton), bears attack for basically 4 reasons.
Protection of territory, protection of cubs, protection of food source & predation(attack you as a potential food source).
We learned, that black bear attacks are more often predatory than grizzly bear attacks.
We also learned that 90% of all black bear attacks turn predatory as the attack ensues, no matter the initial cause of the attack.
With grizzlies, this does happen, but rarely & that if a sow grizzly with 2 year old cubs attacks, that attack may turn predatory as the cubs join in.

Pretty grim figures.  I’ve also heard more than once where a bear victims gun was out of bullets. I was also in a search party for an entire family that was missing near Moose Lake, AK.  Evidently a brown bear pushed the family out in the nearby lake where they all drowned. The military made everyone who was stationed in Alaska attend a bear safety class before venturing out in the wild.  They told us, if ever attacked to fight black bears and play dead for brown bears.  I saw many bears while fishing and never had a problem except for once.  I caught myself between a female brown bear and her cubs.  She charged and was within 10 feet in seconds before stopping.  Getting surprised by  something that big and terrifying running at you,I don’t think it’s humanly possible to play dead.

Offline Chocktaw Brave

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2022, 05:44:32 AM »