Author Topic: Relic pipe axe head  (Read 1852 times)

Offline jdm

• member 2
Relic pipe axe head
« on: May 22, 2022, 05:16:27 AM »
This head came out of an old collection years ago. I was told it was found in a stream in the north eastern U.S. I'm glad they found it Much longer and it would of been gone. Ten/fifteen years ago
Louie Parker made the display haft . He thought  it would make a nice contrast to the relic head . I have to agree  it makes a nice statement .

« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 12:50:07 AM by jdm »
JIM

Offline Fullstock longrifle

Re: Relic pipe axe head
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 02:42:03 PM »
Very cool relic, and as alway, Louie did a great job on the haft.

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2022, 03:27:59 PM »
I like what Louie did.  Nice relic you have.
 Over the years I have picked up lots of Indian stone axes and Selts.  Many many arrow heads.
There were lots of Indian camps along the river where I live.  Never found any Tomahawks like you have. 
iloco

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2022, 04:17:23 PM »
Thank you for your replies.  Now that I've been thinking about it. I traded Louie out of this Twenty years ago. The haft is starting to get a little age like me.  Here is a little  better picture of the haft.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 04:29:46 PM by jdm »
JIM

Offline louieparker

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2022, 06:15:33 PM »
JDM.......I have forgot how the trade went down...  But I feel like I might have got screwed .... LP

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 10:02:56 PM »

JDM.......I have forgot how the trade went down...  But I feel like I might have got screwed .... LP
[/quote]

If you did I'm sure it was the only time. .............
JIM

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2022, 01:57:30 PM »
That's fantastic.

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2022, 05:45:09 PM »

Jim, I know I read that Louie put the haft on that axe, not that he took the shaft on it..
“ Sometime you get the Bear, sometimes the bear gets you”.....!
Like you said it would be a first if Louie got snookered.
Very nice axe, and the best to you and Louie..!
Hope to see you two at the KRA.
Bob in Louisiana.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 08:56:52 PM by Dennis Glazener »
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2022, 02:44:39 AM »
[quote

[/quote]
Jim, I know I read that Louie put the haft on that axe, not that he took the shaft on it..
“ Sometime you get the Bear, sometimes the bear gets you”.....!
Like you said it would be a first if Louie got snookered.
Very nice axe, and the best to you and Louie..!
Hope to see you two at the KRA.
Bob in Louisiana.
]Bob, I think Louie might be laying low. I love these old relics.

JIM

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2022, 05:03:07 AM »
What a great piece. Wouldn’t it be cool to know exactly where it was found?  Who knows what else was there. You don’t misplace a tool of that importance. Something happened there.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2022, 06:04:55 AM »
 I believe from the style  this head dates around the late 1700's but I could sure be wrong . Perhaps someone  with more knowledge on this might have a different  feeling on the subject.  I agree  Shreckmeister   It would be pretty interesting to know what happened. Ambush at a river crossing????? That's why we collect this junk.   Jim
JIM

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2022, 01:53:27 PM »
How was a pipe axe like this originally made? Is the pipe bowl forged along with the axe head or was it a separate piece attached later? Was the haft drilled all the way through, then pewter was poured to secure the head and block the hole?
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2022, 03:47:26 PM »
Most have the head and bowl forged together as one piece although I have seen one that the bowl screwed on.  The haft is drilled full length with a peg to seal the head end of the hole.  If pewter was poured, the head would be wedge fitted from the bottom going up, then a hole drilled through the bowl into the haft.  It would not have a wedge in the haft like a modern axe. A leather gasket would be used between the head and haft to seal the draw hole. 

Cheers,
Ken

Failure only comes when you stop trying.