Author Topic: Guns in the KRA Bulletin  (Read 4275 times)

Offline Don Getz

Guns in the KRA Bulletin
« on: October 17, 2009, 04:34:13 PM »
Recently received a KRA bulletin with the Schreit rifle and a Dickert rifle on the cover, also a story about them on the inside.   I was curious as to who did some restoration on them, they seem to have a high finish on the stocks, and I also
noticed that the trigger guard on the Schreit rifle has been replaced.   I was curious as to how far these guns were taken
apart.  There is a picture of the muzzle ends of the two guns.   I am somewhat paranoid about sights and I think both of
these are on the barrels "backwards".   Especially the Dickert rifle, which has a nice round bead, however, it is on the
"front" side of the sight, not on the back where it should be......just curious if anyone else noticed this.............Don

Offline Dave B

Re: Guns in the KRA Bulletin
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 06:06:25 PM »
Don, I agree about the sight thing. I have a pet peeve about sights put on backwards. I have seen a few posted here that were done that way a long while back.  Were they move around by a previous owner at some point. Just to tick us off
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 09:19:16 PM »
A friend of mine was in college and the college received a donation of 8-10 old muzzle loaders.  Since my friend was a state champion smallbore shooter, he was asked by the college to clean-up the muzzle loaders for them.  He told me that all the rifles had the sights mounted backwards??

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 12:00:59 AM »
Hey Don!
I did that work, and I put the sights on backwards just to tick you off!

Just kidding! ;D

John
John Robbins

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 05:38:57 AM »
Not the first time I've seen the front sight backwards.

No new info in the article, except the dimensions have been corrected, and the photos sure are nice to have in color. Don, I agree that the guns look extremely glossy.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 05:40:18 AM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 05:53:52 AM »
It looks like they were both wiped down with some type of oil for the picture.  I've seen these rifles first hand and neither were this glossy.

Frank

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 07:13:32 AM »
Representing the Dickert as a Pre-revolutioary rifle seems a little odd. It came from England but that means little. Late 1770's 1780's seems possible but that's about it.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 03:16:15 PM »
I know an awful lot of guys who wipe their guns down with Armor All prior to a show; shines them up something fierce and helps prevent fingerprints.  The "wet" look while they're actually dry as a bone.  Of course at the gut level something just seems wrong about it, but I've never heard of it damaging anything.  Those guns look armor-alled.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!