Author Topic: Rammer blanks  (Read 2399 times)

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Rammer blanks
« on: May 26, 2022, 05:56:43 PM »
So who's got the straightest hickory rammer blanks now since Dan Putz died?  I don't think I ever got a cull from him - he was the man.  I'm looking for quantity of say a couple dozen but I don't want to have to send half of them back for wacky grain runout or whatever.  Just wondering who else might be out there with good, straight blanks.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline duca

Re: Rammer blanks
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 06:09:17 PM »
Eric, not that I’m buying lot but I have had good luck with TOW..

Anthony
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 06:19:13 PM »

Anthony
Do they no longer sell rammers made of bongo wood?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Online Daniel Coats

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 06:21:40 PM »
Track can be hit or miss I have gotten terrible ramrods from them before.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline duca

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2022, 06:23:01 PM »

Anthony
Do they no longer sell rammers made of bongo wood?
Yikes!!! I don’t know….
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2022, 06:39:14 PM »
Ramin (Asian Hickory) used for ram rods, look good, but do break fairly easily and usually straight across.

I assume that is Mike's bongo wood.

In 7/16" straight ramrods (or larger"), it isn't too bad, but very weak grain structure.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2022, 06:52:17 PM »
Oh I thought it was balsa wood!  Nope, not looking for bongo.  Real hickory.  I guess nobody took over Dan's operation.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2022, 08:48:24 PM »
Eric,
        I got a dozen off of Log Cabin about 4-5 months ago and they looked like they came from Dan Putz.  I could not have asked for any better and the price was reasonable.  Give Log Cabin a try.
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2022, 09:35:21 PM »
We used to buy from Dan Putz and they were nice.  We've been getting them from a place in Canada recently and they are pretty good as well.  Let me know if you're interested in any and we can send you some.  I'll pick them to make sure they are good as well.  I believe we get $6 per rod.  We have 3/8 and 5/16.

Jim

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2022, 12:53:37 AM »
Thanks Jim, I'll go look at your site - will do about 3 doz to make it marginally worth your while.  I appreciate it!  Thanks.

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2022, 04:38:15 PM »
I am surprised that no one suggested “ grow your own” 🤣

Birddog6

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2022, 02:55:22 PM »
What about The Ramrod Guy (Steve Bailey ) that used to advertise in Muzzleblasts. Is he still around ? Super nice friendly guy. If I remember
correctly, he either worked for or his family owned a whiskey barrel stave company. I bought prob a hundred RR blanks from him & stocked up
have at least 50 stored in tubes.  He sold them 10 at a time.  Absolutely no grain runout on them. None of the venders had anything nearly as
nice. He charged $1. ea more than the other venders, but they were Awesome.  48" long & a tad OS & you turn them to your size. Had 5/16,
3/8, 7/16" blanks. At one time # was (573) 768-6545 but I haven't talked to him in years. Used to call in order & meet him at Friendship.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 03:00:45 PM by D. Keith Lisle »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2022, 04:26:21 PM »
I have  cut my own hickory trees and split them up. I think I'm getting to old for that sort of thing now. ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2022, 04:31:05 PM »
I have  cut my own hickory trees and split them up. I think I'm getting to old for that sort of thing now. ;D

I also tried this one time, quickly decided buying them was far better. Lots of work and a lot of ruined hickory splits!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2022, 06:15:30 PM »
What about The Ramrod Guy (Steve Bailey ) that used to advertise in Muzzleblasts. Is he still around ? Super nice friendly guy. If I remember
correctly, he either worked for or his family owned a whiskey barrel stave company. I bought prob a hundred RR blanks from him & stocked up
have at least 50 stored in tubes.  He sold them 10 at a time.  Absolutely no grain runout on them. None of the venders had anything nearly as
nice. He charged $1. ea more than the other venders, but they were Awesome.  48" long & a tad OS & you turn them to your size. Had 5/16,
3/8, 7/16" blanks. At one time # was (573) 768-6545 but I haven't talked to him in years. Used to call in order & meet him at Friendship.

Steve sold his business to Dan Putz who died.

Offline heinz

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2022, 07:40:21 PM »
Eric, I have gotten several orders of 6 to ten Ramrods from Log Cabin.  I have always been happy with what they shipped.  Of course I do believe a straight ramrod is one destined to fall out of the pipes.  But I have not broken any yet and I load pretty tight.
kind regards, heinz