Author Topic: Vent pick and bullet board for a .36 cal rifle rig  (Read 1250 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Vent pick and bullet board for a .36 cal rifle rig
« on: May 28, 2022, 06:07:16 AM »
Made an ebony bullet board and an ebony handled vent pick / awl with a brass sheath today.  The bullet board is sized for a .36 caliber ball.

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Flintandsmoke

Re: Vent pick and bullet board for a .36 cal rifle rig
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 11:17:08 AM »
Love the vent pick

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2022, 03:58:08 PM »
The whole set is amazing.  Id hunt more skwerls just to carry that set up.

Offline Prairie dog shooter

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2022, 06:33:38 PM »
Very nice!

Offline hawkeye

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2022, 06:45:05 PM »
Very nice, wauuw

Offline Brian Sweeney

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2022, 05:02:50 AM »
   Very nice. That would be a great set for my daughter's rifle.  Brian

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2022, 01:57:00 PM »
Beautiful work, Dave. Thanks for sharing.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline alacran

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2022, 02:10:39 PM »
That is really nice. I really don't like the smell of Gabon ebony when it is sanded. I do like the way it works though.
Can't see a Kentucky skwerl hunter using that fine a rig though.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2022, 10:59:50 PM »
That is really nice. I really don't like the smell of Gabon ebony when it is sanded. I do like the way it works though.
Can't see a Kentucky skwerl hunter using that fine a rig though.
What does either of you use to finish Gabon ebony? I have some I keep debating on what kind of finish to put on it. Always prefer an oil finish of some type but I kind of doubt that Gabon ebony would soak up an oil finish.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2022, 02:46:51 AM »
Dennis,

I have a very old can of Watco Danish Oil that I use.....although I don't really believe they squeeze Danish people to get oil out of them.....I think it's mostly linseed oil.  However, for small items like this, I put the item in a steel pot, cover the part with Watco, and then draw a vacuum on the pot with a special gasketed lid I made up out of plexiglass (so I can see what's going on in the pot.).  The Watco foams around the wood item as air inside the wood makes its way out through the cellular structure.  I leave the vacuum on for a few minutes and then release it.  The oil is drawn very deeply into the wood fibers because all the internal air has been removed and is now replaced by the oil.  I wipe the excess off and then cure the item in the sun for a couple of days.

By the way, I have done the same vacuum impregnation on full sized rifle stocks as well.  Instead of a pot I seal up the stock in heavy polyethylene.  The "bag" has a plastic hose attached at both ends with shut off clamps.  I draw a vacuum from one end of the close fitting bag and then put the tube on the other end into a can of oil finish.  When I open the clamp, the oil is drawn into the evacuated bag and completely surrounds the stock.  All the air has been drawn out of the wood fibers (more or less depending on the cell structure of the particular type of wood) and the finishing oil replaces the air.  Again, wipe off the excess and then cure.  I don't think there is any way to get a finishing oil deeper into wood than with this vacuum arrangement.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2022, 04:27:02 AM »
Very nice Delux set Dave and thanks for the oil finish tip. :)