Author Topic: Patching material needed to  (Read 1822 times)

Offline Nessmuck

Patching material needed to
« on: May 28, 2022, 07:12:54 PM »
There was a vendor on here …that sold exceptional patching material…can’t  remember who…hopefully yinzs can help me out …and thanks !

Offline Daryl

Re: Patching material needed to
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 08:17:05 PM »
Can't help with your query, Nessmuck, but any store who sells Denim in ounce weights, sells exceptional patching material in my opinion.
I like the 10, 12 and 14ounce versions. I use the 14 ounce, for the small 15 bore (.675") balls in my .14 bore (.690")rifle. I measure the
14 ounce at .034".
I also found some .022" light canvas that shoots just as well, but is slightly harder loading than the 10 ounce denim which also measures
in that realm. I use both of those materials with balls from .005" to .008" under bore size.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 09:25:09 PM »

FOUND IT !!!!!!!!

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2022, 05:19:56 PM »
Ron is the man.  I love his patching, and have a lot ahead.  I buy the plain (not treated) 100% cotton canvas.  The densest material I have ever run across.  His prices are really not bad, compared to good cloth at JoAnn.  The best news is that it WORKS.  Never burns through.  Don't both with email or his website.  I don't think he uses them.  Call in the evening.  Leave a message if he does not reply.  My friend David put me onto this material, and I have tried most everything else, and returned to this cloth.  No need to experiment any more.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline ScottH

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 08:25:49 PM »
I'm thinking of ordering some of this for patch material. Any body try this already?

https://www.bigduckcanvas.com/army-duck/10-10-oz-60-inches-wide/

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2022, 08:41:47 PM »
Yes. I shoot the 10-10 duck material. Good tight weave no blowing apart.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2022, 05:16:29 AM »
Ron is the man.  I love his patching, and have a lot ahead.  I buy the plain (not treated) 100% cotton canvas.  The densest material I have ever run across.  His prices are really not bad, compared to good cloth at JoAnn.  The best news is that it WORKS.  Never burns through.  Don't both with email or his website.  I don't think he uses them.  Call in the evening.  Leave a message if he does not reply.  My friend David put me onto this material, and I have tried most everything else, and returned to this cloth.  No need to experiment any more.  God Bless,   Marc

Just got off the phone with him….got some .015 and .018 material coming

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2022, 03:20:37 AM »
Just got my patching material…..015 & .018 non treated canvas …looks indestructible!

Offline Drahthaar

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2022, 06:24:25 PM »
Stoner...what thickness is the 10-10 duck canvas?  I have tried artist linen but founded it to be to thick for my .54.
Aim small miss small

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2022, 05:51:40 PM »
Stoner...what thickness is the 10-10 duck canvas?  I have tried artist linen but founded it to be to thick for my .54.

Cotton compresses easier  than linen. Thus a cotton patch of the same weight will load easier. There are many online sources for linen such as fabric-store (dot) com. They will sell small swatches to allow testing. Linen has advantages over cotton if you can find the right thickness. With a .526 ball I can use this companies heavy linen canvas. But while it seems to start OK it does tend the go down harder. Perhaps its filling the grooves better. 
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Hatchet-Jack

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2022, 12:26:44 AM »
A friend out at Friendship turned me on to Joann Fabrics #20 drill cloth. This is used to make pockets in jeans so it's thin but tough. The weave is ultra tight. Hold it up to the sun and you can't see daylight. It measures .018 after washing it.