Author Topic: Mae and the Wall Gun  (Read 1471 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Mae and the Wall Gun
« on: July 18, 2022, 07:15:19 AM »
Just came across this video....thought some others might enjoy it.  Now there's a girl after me own heart !!!  I love the smile on her face after she fired it.   ;)  Much like the subtle smile on Vanessa !!

PS.....read some of the comments on the YouTube page below the video....very funny !!!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 10:57:29 PM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Mae and the Wall Gun
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2022, 10:39:57 AM »
Too bad they didn't put a ball in it so they could get the real wall gun experience.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2022, 04:23:14 PM »
To these old eyes the recoil looked a little stout. I thought she put a paper patched ball down but I can only see with one eye anyway so might have not seen that.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2022, 10:55:19 PM »
I don't know Mike....the slow motion of the recoil looks like a lot more than a blank being fired.... ;)
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 11:13:50 PM »
She may have used some slight of hand, but I didn't see a ball go down the bore.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline MJBush

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2022, 11:35:03 PM »
I think she loaded shot. Still looks like enough recoil to keep me from pulling the trigger.
Michael

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2022, 03:12:23 PM »
The sound of the gun did not sound like a powder only load. It had a sharper report, more like a normal loaded rifle.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2022, 04:41:17 PM »
Mae is not one to shy away from recoil usually.  I have watched a lot of her and Othias on their C&Rsenal YouTube channel.  She is the one normally doing the shooting.  All sort of small arms. 

She is clearly knowledgeable, patient and well-versed in gun handling.  She is easy to listen to and watch.  I cannot imagine her upset about something.....she seems so easy-going.  I have been enjoying their blackpowder pistol series, and I know Dennis must be watching those too. 

Great information contained in those videos for us "gun geeks".    :-) 

God Bless,   Marc

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2022, 07:05:30 PM »
We can hear the shot rolling down the barrel during the latter part of loading and just before she rams the wadding home.  I found it interesting that Mae doesn't appear to use any wadding between the powder and shot.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2022, 11:26:51 PM »
We can hear the shot rolling down the barrel during the latter part of loading and just before she rams the wadding home.  I found it interesting that Mae doesn't appear to use any wadding between the powder and shot.
I missed the rolling of the ball. A ball will certainly make that recoil! I made one of those with a 1 inch bore and 5 foot barrel that was 2inches across the breech.  It weighed 38lbs. I didn't have the courage to shoot it. :-\

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2022, 03:54:00 PM »
Lovely young woman and that AC 130 is the cure for a lot of things in the "sand box".Our oldest son was part of the Air Combat Command  and he said they did terrible things to bad people.He was part of a team that "borrowed"an air field from the Iraqis and I wondered about the word "borrow".He said "gentle people would call it atrocious the team called it effective".When they were getting ready to depart,the pilot of their transport got a "Hold short"order.There was a convoy of white Toyota trucks on the way and each one had a heavy machine gun and a crew.If they were border guards they would spread out along the border and if not,they were in big trouble.They were not border guards and were "blessed" with an AC130 that was part of the security system.Rob said those Toyotas were shtedded as were the gun crews for the machine guns and no movement was seen.
Bob Roller