General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Paper shot cups working most of the time

(1/4) > >>

Tim Ault:
So I’ve gotten around to shooting my little 24 ga . .015 patch and .562 ball are working great but I’ve had mixed results using shot . I’ve been experimenting with paper shot cups made from brown grocery bags . Wrapped 1.5x around a dowel and glue with kids paste glue fold the bottom inwards and flatten .  Im using 1-1/8 oz of a mix of 7.5 and 5 shot as it’s all I have at the moment . I fill the cup and then twist the end till I load it then rip the twist off flush with the shot column and top with a thin wad  I also rub a smear of mink oil on the cup before I load , using 2 thin wads over powder and 65 gr of 2 F . I’ve shot maybe 15 of these and had 4 not open up at all . Decent pattern at 25 yds on the ones that do .  So why aren’t all of them opening ? Any thoughts or advice

Daryl:
Ramming pressure?  If you "throw" the rod onto the shot "Ctg" after seating it on the powder, you will likely disrupt it to the extent that is splits.  Making the tube slightly
smaller than you are currently making them might also help with the "splitting/opening" when seating.  Appears your glue line only opens roughly 2 out of 3 shots. 
Have you tried the sky-chief load?
I would try lighter weight, less tough paper as well.

DanL:
I have used sticky notes trimmed to the correct size for just shy of 2 wraps around a dowel (sanded to correct diameter) and utilizing the sticky part to seal or keep the shape instead of glue. The paper is wrapped around the dowel then a bit of excess length is folded over on the bottom end. It is then filled with shot. Build the shot column at the muzzle by inserting a hard card or stiff wad a couple of inches in then the shot cup topped by an overshot card. The whole group is rammed down to sit on the powder charge.

One can also build the column using the Skychief method and include the shot cup. The skychief method does improve the pattern in my .62 smoothie.

Experiment and give it a try!  Good luck.

Mike Brooks:
Jug choke it.

Daryl:
Trial and error - or have it choked, yes, Mike's solution will work and better than any combination you might manage in a cylinder bore.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version