Author Topic: My first forged trigger guard  (Read 4156 times)

Panther Creek

My first forged trigger guard
« on: October 22, 2009, 02:46:14 AM »
After studying pics of the House brothers rifle and waht few I could find on their page, I decided to forge my own trigger guard loosely based off the shape of theirs. Since this is some of my first attempts at building a long rifle any comments and pointers, oppinions are welcomed!

I was given a Traditions rifle allready built by someone when they found that I was wanting to build long rifles. I decided to cut my teeth on changing the things about this rifle I do not like mainly for the experience. Trigger guard is first!

The stock guard was cast pot metal. I wanted a traditional guard. I am undecided on the style of the mounting plate, straight and rounded on ends or the flare and flat like some I have saw on older rifles.
Opinions??

This is just the front half of the guard and basic rough in. Still need to work on the taper in a few places. NO sandpaper was used! Hammers, files, whetstone and burnished with a piece of drill rod.

Also trying to shape up the stock for more traditional  lines, longer, slender neck, and wood flush with trigger inserts etc.  Next is a buttplate and some work on the triggers tomake them look hadforged instead of cast.

Thanks for looking!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: My first forged trigger guard
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 03:06:20 AM »
Looking great!  Keep it coming.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 03:54:39 AM »
Panther,
It's looking good.  My first attempt is in the garbage can.  Good idea doing some practice before taking the big plunge.
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

J.D.

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 05:02:09 AM »
Now that is an ambitious project, for someone who hasn't done any appreciable gun work. You are off to a good start, and with the creativity and determination you have shown in forging your first trigger guard, I'm sure it will come out much better than what you had in the beginning.

God bless

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 12:17:14 PM »
It looks great! Please post pictures of the the finished gard. If youre interested you can find info on forging triggergards the the booklet ;
"Note from a small Iowa rifleshop" by Steven Bookout.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(z4rg4j3xuih0nz45yi21q355))/categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=4&subId=38&styleId=137&partNum=BOOK-NFSIR

Best regards

Rolfkt

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 01:44:34 PM »
Be careful when you start reshaping the triggers, some of them are cast from air hardening steel and will be hard as glass after you heat and reshape them.   You have to heat soak them for an extended period to anneal them.   Davis uses this type of steel.  I have no idea what Traditions used, but a quick check with a file will tell you after you heat them...might save you from making a new part....
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard