Author Topic: June Postal Match  (Read 2887 times)

Offline Daryl

June Postal Match
« on: June 02, 2022, 03:07:55 AM »
Same site for targets and here is the link.
https://targets.s3.amazonaws.com/PDF/Bullseye1.pdf
Printing the target from this address, will give the correct sizing. If uploaded to your computer as a PDF, then
printing it from there, will likely print a smaller target. My computer will make it 1/16" smaller in size for each ring
if I do this.
The 10 ring is just a hair over 2" in diameter, so there should be some good scores. 1/2 ball touching or across the
outer edge of the line for higher score.
For this match, 5 shots, standing or offhand with body resting if that is what you do - fine.
25 yards No other types of "rest" please
5 shots per target, a "possible" is 50 5X.
Submit as many targets as you like, only top score on a single target wins.  Maximum # of holes per target is 5.
Open sights only, but if you want to submit a peep sighted target for acclaim, so be it, but please label it so.
Flint or percussion ignition only. Patched round ball.
The reason for a single bull, is some people have difficulty with multiple bulls on the same page.
Good luck and good shooting!!! ;D
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Daryl

Re: June Postal Match
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2022, 06:21:56 AM »
bttt
Daryl

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2022, 06:55:31 AM »
I’ll get some targets printed.. balls are made…have powder…just have to get my butt to the range

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2022, 07:10:16 AM »
GREAT!!! ;D ;D
Daryl

Offline alacran

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 02:06:07 PM »
Just printed 3 targets. Bigger black than the NMLRA slug gun target. The x ring is the same size but, on this target, the other rings are smaller.
I like it hope to shoot it Saturday. Congratulations on another win Daryl.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2022, 06:31:05 PM »
I am back from the great hog hunt, so will make this month's shoot. Someone has to hold tight to bottom place.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2022, 03:47:16 AM »
Just printed 3 targets. Bigger black than the NMLRA slug gun target. The x ring is the same size but, on this target, the other rings are smaller.
I like it hope to shoot it Saturday. Congratulations on another win Daryl.

Thanks alacran. Same old stuff. 10 pounced denim & a plinking load that shoots close to the sights.
Guys, month is close to 1/2 over.

Targets please.
Daryl

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2022, 04:28:33 AM »
I will get out this week once I sell a kidney to buy a gallon or two of gas. Looking forward to shooting it.
I just finished shooting the annual N.M.L.R.A. "postal match" for the price they charge you can't go wrong. 4 targets + 4 "practice" targets, scoring instructions, a giant return envelope and a complete rules book for shooting N.M.L.R.A. matches all for something like $18.00. Off hand shooting with 1 target at 25 yards, 2 targets at 50 yards and 1 target at 100 yards. Not easy but a lot of fun for the buck. Still time to to get your targets and bang away.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2022, 07:18:55 PM »
Bargain indeed.
Daryl

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2022, 01:18:22 AM »
OK- First to post,. Of course, my score does not count in the contest.
.36 Squirrel Rifle
.350" ball
.021" Denim patch (10 ounce)
Spit for Lube, cut at the muzzle
38gr. 3F O.E.
Tried 3 targets before this, using the short coupled  body hold. Best target was 44/50.
This one scores 48/50.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 02:02:53 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2022, 03:12:56 AM »
That is nice shooting, Daryl.  Did Taylor get out as well ?   We have had abit of cooler weather, so I've been working on my root cellar. [ trying to get the grunt work done before the heat sets in ]      I am planning on shooting this in the next couple of days, using my smoothbore.  It's 25 yards, so why not ?   :)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2022, 07:06:12 AM »
 25 yards yes - Tks, Bob, it was good for me, especially with the flinter.
That the 10 ring is about 2" in diameter.
Yes - Taylor was with me and shot a slightly better target than mine.
I watched every one of those balls go through his target, too & with
my binoculars.
Smoothbore, eh - well good luck.
Daryl

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2022, 07:21:30 AM »
First try at this monthly postal match...lots of fun...need/want more practice.
Shot my Verner copy - 48" Getz .50 cal bbl, homebuilt lock using Siler percussion plate and TOW parts. 
70 gr. 2Fg GOEX .021" (10 oz) denim with Lehigh Valley lube and precut patches
.490" ball
Scored 49 1X...first shot - the nine at 3 o'clock.  Hope to try again soon.
Daryl's off on his summer holiday in a couple days so he's leaving the match in my hands from that time 'til the month end.  I encourage everyone to give this target a try...it's a big 10 ring and only 25 yards, so there's huge potential.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2022, 08:16:33 AM »
Good target 49/50 1X is what I see as well - nice rifle.
tks for covering for me, Taylor.  Gotta to fishing, need to go fishing.
Daryl

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2022, 11:26:46 PM »
Well I had a long talk with myself and was determined not to embarrass myself as usual. Today was that perfect Pacific N.W. day 56 degrees, zero wind and slightly overcast so no excuses. Instead of doing my usual which is go to the range, get set up post two targets and bang away at each for 5 shots each, then repeat. This time I went like it was a serious target match. After getting set up and loaded I fired 1 shot, then wiped the bore with a clean cotton patch misted with Isopropyl alcohol followed by a new dry patch before loading. I did this on every shot I took today. After shooting 1 target I sat down had some water and let the gun completely cool. The only variable was the first 2 targets I shot using my normal lube of 50% T.O.T.W. Mink oil and 50% pure Neatsfoot oil and the final 2 targets using just "spit" for the lube.  I score them as 47 (1 or 2X), 45 1X, 46, 43 but will let the judge make the final determination. This is the best shooting offhand I have done in 1 or 2 years. Not going to win but I know if I get my mind right and take my time I can still shoot even with shaky hands and 2 fuzzy eyes.
If you can't read the targets i was shooting my new Don Bruton Soddy-Daisy in 36 caliber,.350 round ball, .015 canvas patch and 45 grains of GOEX 3F at 1600 f.p.s.

"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2022, 06:23:05 PM »
Some pretty good targets, Mike. Well done.
I agree with your scores all except I'll call a 2X on the first target. It's VERY close.
Daryl

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2022, 06:44:53 PM »
Many thanks for that.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline alacran

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2022, 02:04:44 PM »
Wanted to shoot my new Jaeger yesterday. I have only shot about 50 balls through it and wanted to see what more needed to be done for sighting it in.

The rifle has a 25 inch pipe, with a 15 and 3/8" sight radius. It is .61 caliber made by Ed Rayl. The rifle weighs 7.25 lbs.
I had this months targets in my jeep so I thought they would be good as anything for my purpose.
I shot this offhand, meaning left hand forward on the fore stock extended. I found a long time ago that short barreled lightweight rifles are best shot this way.
I was using 70 grains of 2f Goex, .595 ball, natural color bull denim from JoAnn's fabric. It measures .018 compressed, lubed with bear oil.

photo host
The targets were shot in Southern Illinois at a friends farm. Shot at lasered 25 yards. Temperature was 96 F humidity about the same.
Shot the target on the left first and had one that got away from me on the 8 ring at 10 o'clock.
Managed to keep them all in the black on the other target. Was difficult to figure out exactly where the three ball group at three o'clock landed because the big balls trashed the paper. I figure 2 nines and an eight. But then I'm prejudiced. So it is either a 43 0r a 44.
After the second target I tried some different patching on a different target and shot a gong at 55 yards. It just got too hot to keep shooting.
So far I am very pleased with this rifle
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2022, 05:32:23 PM »
Looks like a great looking and handling gun! Congrats on getting the new one on target!
Andover, Vermont

Offline alacran

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2022, 02:01:24 PM »
Thanks Rich.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2022, 10:39:02 PM »
Nice rifle Alacran, is that ash? Little cooler around these parts today.

Offline alacran

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2022, 01:10:53 AM »
Thank you Flincher. The rifle is made from Paradox walnut AKA Bastogne Walnut. I posted photos of it back in April in the gun building section.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2022, 02:22:37 AM »
I’ll have to go back and look, don’t know how I missed that.

Offline alacran

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2022, 01:21:09 PM »
Went out yesterday I shot four targets, 2 with my .54 Hawken and two with my .58 Jaeger.
I met my friend Dave Witty at the Buck Creek range in Linton Indiana. I got to meet Flinchrocket there as well. We had a good conversation.
Saturday could not have been more different weather wise than it was when I shot Wednesday. I don't believe the temperature ever got above 82f.
The humidity was 27% according to Accuweather. A very pleasant day indeed.
Decided to shoot my .54 Hawken first. I was using .530 balls, Jo Ann's pocket drill lubed with bear oil. 60 grains of 2f Goex.

This rifle weighs in at 10.5 lbs. Shot a 46 on the left target and a 47 on the right.
Dave had brought 6 new gongs made out of AR 500 to try out. Four of them were small to miniscule. I shot and hit them all.
Afterwards I shot my .58 Jaeger.

I was using .562 balls, .023 twill which I got through E-Bay., bear lube and 70grains of 2f Goex.
The first target I shot on the left was a 46 1x. The second shot is the one that went out of the group at11 o'clock. Was pleased since I had just gone from a caplock with set triggers to a single trigger flintlock.
I had to look real hard at the second target to score it I overlayed it over a clean target got calipers out, and concluded that I would have scored a 49 x even if it were some one elses target, but I will leave that up to Daryl.
All in all a very pleasant day to shoot.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2022, 02:14:26 PM »
Alacran, it was nice meeting and talking with you last Saturday. Also you had a couple of very nice rifles . I look forward to talking with you again and wish you a safe trip home. Jerry