Author Topic: Are Bipods allowed for bench shoots  (Read 1810 times)

Offline kyridgerunner

Are Bipods allowed for bench shoots
« on: June 02, 2022, 03:29:19 AM »

Is it Okay to attach a modern bipod to a rifle for bench shooting? Seems to me that would work better than shooting off wood blocks or maybe even using a cant block. Would it be legal, let's say for the squirrel rifle bench match?

Offline Stoner creek

Re: Are Bipods allowed for bench shoots
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2022, 03:46:49 AM »
Cross sticks or a solid bench. I know of no bipods in muzzle loading.
You have a lot of shooting questions. Perhaps you should consult with the folks at NMLRA or even better go to the shoot in Friendship in 2 weeks. I’m sure that someone in the target room will be happy to answer your questions!
 We all do this target shooting thing a little bit differently all over the country.  Heck it can be whatever the owner of the range wants it to be.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 03:50:19 AM by Stoner creek »
Stop Marxism in America

Offline kyridgerunner

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2022, 11:51:18 PM »

Thanks Stoner Creek. I don't mean to be a bother with all my questions. I wish I knew someone at the NMLRA to consult with, but I don't,  and what with it being a 20 hour drive from my place to Friendship making it to a shoot is quite a long haul.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2022, 12:09:48 AM »

Thanks Stoner Creek. I don't mean to be a bother with all my questions. I wish I knew someone at the NMLRA to consult with, but I don't,  and what with it being a 20 hour drive from my place to Friendship making it to a shoot is quite a long haul.
Call the NMLRA and ask for the rule book.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2022, 12:21:26 AM »
I wish I knew someone at the NMLRA to consult with
It ain't rocket science to obtain the info you want.

Click on this link and it will give you 99% of what you seek.  Download the rule book.
https://www.nmlra.org/rules

Then click on this link to find out about the individual matches.
https://www.nmlra.org/aggregates

For any other questions you might have, go to the main website and look around.  If you can'f find it, call the office and they will direct you.  If you're not a member, join!!
https://www.nmlra.org

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2022, 05:47:04 AM »
Nein. No Unertls either. Crossed sticks and iron. That would be like putting a dot sight on a Match Lock or giving George Washington a pager.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2022, 05:51:52 AM »

It’s no bother at all, that’s just the local curmudgeons being wholesome and excessively welcoming. Especially ol Stoner. He’d give you the shirt off his back so long as you don’t try to put a Harris ultralight tactical bipod on your flinter…

Offline alacran

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2022, 02:44:41 PM »
Bob it is great for you to chime in on this one. You have expressed my thoughts precisely, without all of the expletives.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2022, 04:08:13 PM »
Some people might call it " in the spirit of the match ". Trying to keep things less techno so to speak.  ;)

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2022, 04:36:00 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, they do have matches for those modern contraptions posing as real muzzleloaders and shooting pointy projectiles wrapped in plastic with copious amounts of fake black powder for their energy source....shot prone and at longer range. Seems like I noticed bipods as I wandered by headed to the chunk range.   
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2022, 07:00:20 PM »
Cross sticks give you a rest similar to a bipod, although they are not screwed to the stock.  They also come with the added benefit of a physical work out.  Most matches at Friendship are designed to replicate the way rifles were used in their heyday, both hunting and sport shooting.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2022, 07:35:03 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, they do have matches for those modern contraptions posing as real muzzleloaders and shooting pointy projectiles wrapped in plastic with copious amounts of fake black powder for their energy source....shot prone and at longer range. Seems like I noticed bipods as I wandered by headed to the chunk range.

I assume "they" would allow a non-inline to compete in those events?
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2022, 08:08:06 PM »
Oh my. I guess it ain't the good ol days on the line at friendship anymore.  ::)
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline MJBush

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2022, 05:52:07 PM »
Daryl, no ‘they’ don’t. Round ball shooters don’t want to, those ‘special’ matches are shot a 300, 400 and 500 yards.

Mike, I shot last year for the first time in Friendship it was just like all the pictures i have seen for 25 years. I saw as many beautiful full stock rifles and half stocks as I did big bench guns. I hope to go back again.
Michael

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2022, 06:03:11 PM »
I guess it ain't the good ol days on the line at friendship anymore.
That's because the line clears out when they start shooting.  They have so much back blast and concussion that they almost blow your eardrums out if you don't have a set of quality earmuffs on.  They are about 3 tmes as loud as the big long range rifles.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2022, 06:22:57 PM »
That's because the line clears out when they start shooting.  They have so much back blast and concussion that they almost blow your eardrums out if you don't have a set of quality earmuffs on.  They are about 3 tmes as loud as the big long range rifles.
Ain't that something? My neighbor  hunts with one of those things. For all the recoil and noise I'd just as soon use a 45 70 sharps with a scope.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2022, 09:31:24 PM »
That's because the line clears out when they start shooting.  They have so much back blast and concussion that they almost blow your eardrums out if you don't have a set of quality earmuffs on.  They are about 3 times as loud as the big long range rifles.

I have heard the RB false muzzled "bench line" also includes .69's, shooting bore sized balls & over 300gr. powder.
Daryl

Offline kyridgerunner

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2022, 11:22:51 PM »

Seems like we kind of got "off topic" a little.

To TOF. I'm familiar with and checked the Rules before asking this question. Not a single mention of bipods in any of those links. Hence the question to you guys on this forum. So from the responses I guess a bipod "may" be allowed in some matches. I don't use one folks. Just curious.

As far as keeping "in the spirit of the match" I don't even own a shooting box, not even a little plastic one and certainly not one of those monster wood boxes so many guys lug to and from the line. If it's not in my shooting bag I do without. And I'd never even consider wearing one of those leather Olypmic style shooting jackets complete with glove and an adjustable aperature on my shooting glasses. Don't think D. Boone or Simon Kenton ever used those either. Could be wrong being as I wasn't around then.

Going to the National Shoots has been on my bucket list for years. I'm on the far side of 70 so time is short but living over a 1000 miles away and making do on SS and a small military disability check makes it tough.  I sold a few guns and put that money aside for the trip this year. Hopefully I'll make it there and be  able to learn a few things, maybe even quit asking so many questions on this forum.

Thanks for all the replies and help. God bless.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2022, 11:39:49 PM »

Seems like we kind of got "off topic" a little.

To TOF. I'm familiar with and checked the Rules before asking this question. Not a single mention of bipods in any of those links. Hence the question to you guys on this forum. So from the responses I guess a bipod "may" be allowed in some matches. I don't use one folks. Just curious.

As far as keeping "in the spirit of the match" I don't even own a shooting box, not even a little plastic one and certainly not one of those monster wood boxes so many guys lug to and from the line. If it's not in my shooting bag I do without. And I'd never even consider wearing one of those leather Olypmic style shooting jackets complete with glove and an adjustable aperature on my shooting glasses. Don't think D. Boone or Simon Kenton ever used those either. Could be wrong being as I wasn't around then.

Going to the National Shoots has been on my bucket list for years. I'm on the far side of 70 so time is short but living over a 1000 miles away and making do on SS and a small military disability check makes it tough.  I sold a few guns and put that money aside for the trip this year. Hopefully I'll make it there and be  able to learn a few things, maybe even quit asking so many questions on this forum.

Thanks for all the replies and help. God bless.

If you’re fortunate enough to make the trip, please consider looking me up while you are in the area. I’m only 2 hours away from friendship. You’ll be treated like family. Good family, some families around these parts don’t get along to well and end up on the Sunday night news. Good family!!
Wayne
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 11:42:58 PM by Stoner creek »
Stop Marxism in America

Offline MJBush

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2022, 05:05:43 AM »
My, I live 2000 miles away and thought the trip was worth all the expense and trouble. 4 driving days each way.
I hope you make it, it is something to experience, everything from big bench guns to primitive and everything in between. No one has said anything about the double rifle match shooting African animal silhouettes
Ask all the questions you want.
Again, you can send private emails anytime.
Michael

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2022, 08:06:36 AM »
I can't answer the original question regarding rules, but I have to point out that Siberian snaplock rifles of the 18th century and later were often fitted with bipods. I believe some of these rifles found there way over to this continent as part of the Russian colonization/fur-trading project in Alaska, so they can even be classified as a HC/PC American Frontier gun, albeit not the frontier we are used to thinking about...
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Daryl

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2022, 01:23:30 AM »
As far down the coast to San Francisco, I've read, for the Russian guns.
They were very large fairly heavy guns, with small bores, IIRC.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 11:09:18 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline alacran

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2022, 01:54:23 PM »
As far down the coast to San Francisco, I've read, for the Russian guns.
They were very large fairly heavy guns, with small bores, IIRC.
Had to do a search on those since I had never seen one or heard of them.
They are about as crude as a gun can get. As far as the bipods on them goes they appear to be made for shooting in a sitting position. The Siberian nomads were a short people, undoubtedly, they were employed by the Russians to be trappers in Alaska.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2022, 12:25:23 AM »
Nein. No Unertls either. Crossed sticks and iron. That would be like putting a dot sight on a Match Lock or giving George Washington a pager.
I sorta like the idea of a pager and George Washington