Author Topic: Hardware for the next gun  (Read 1223 times)

Offline mgbruch

Hardware for the next gun
« on: June 19, 2022, 04:08:08 AM »
Just finished making the butt plate, trigger guard, and double set triggers for rifle number ten from a blank.  They need edges beveled for inletting and a little more finish work, which they'll get when it's time to put them on; but they have their final shape and dimensions.

I actually make the double set triggers first; I like to get them out of the way.  This will only be the fourth gun to carry my own triggers, so I still feel like I'm new at them.  I take my time, and they function perfectly.

I make my trigger guard second; so it gets custom made for the triggers.  That way allows me to know everything will fit nicely, and look good.  This is a new style of guard for me; it took just a bit of fussing, but I got it the way I wanted.  And I learned what to do on the next one to make it go easier.

Last comes the butt plate.  I never finish laying out a gun I have these parts made. And obviously I have the lock, stock, and barrel.  I do a preliminary layout, without the plate and guard, just drawing in the curvature of the plate, because it will be pretty close.  Mostly I want to know that my trigger guard fits properly with respect to the curve of the wrist, where the triggers will be, and where the front guard screw will be placed in the stock.  Stuff like that is important.

I make all of the other iron furniture for the gun as well; but those things get made when it's time to put them on.  Sights are always last.

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Hardware for the next gun
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2022, 04:18:43 AM »
Looks like nice work. What did you use for the springs?

Offline steven baker

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 06:13:48 AM »
Nice work,I would like to know what steel that you used for the triggers? thanks and take care Steven.

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2022, 07:01:40 AM »
Very nice work. Thanks for sharing.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Fly Navy

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2022, 07:29:43 AM »
Nicely done.

Offline mgbruch

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2022, 07:36:05 AM »
Thanks for the good words.  The triggers are made from spring steel.  1070 or 1075,  3/16" thick. I can't remember which.  I got it several years ago, and have only used half of it.  The main spring I make from a 3" concrete spike.  It must be annealed before it can be worked, and it's the perfect shape and thickness to start with.  The trigger spring is made from a hacksaw blade.  The cheaper, store brand hacksaw blades, which I prefer, make good springs.  On the trigger return spring, I give it lust a little upsweep bend before I temper it.  The springs are tempered once everything is fit properly.  The triggers are tempered once they receive their final finish.

Offline HighUintas

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2022, 04:55:26 AM »
Beautiful. I love the trigger guard.

Care to share how you went about riveting the buttplate before brazing it?

Online cshirsch

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2022, 04:04:51 PM »
Very nice.

Offline mgbruch

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2022, 11:59:56 PM »
Prior to riveting, I first make sure I've filed the surfaces and have good tight contact on them.  I also make sure that all bending of the parts is finished.

I use a number 6 soft iron finishing nail (not the "bright" ones) and a 7/64 drill bit.  I drill a hole straight through the face of the plate, about a quarter inch from the top edge, and centered.  I then drill through the top of plate, eye-balling the angle I need for the hole.  That hole is also about a quarter inch from the rear of the piece, and centered.

Then I countersink the holes, cut the nail to length, and peen it in.

for the actual peening...  I leave the nail long and insert it from the top of the plate.  I put the pieces on the bench vise with the long part of the nail clamped in the vise, and peen the head of the nail in the countersink on the top of the plate.  Once I have that one done, I cut the nail, and set the plate up in the vise with a piece of 3/8 inch thick iron bar, as shown in the photo.  The holds everything steady while I peen the cut end into the countersink on the face of the plate, and it provides a very rigid surface on the other side of the rivet (nail) to peen against.

Once riveted, everything fits nice and snug.  The two parts can be moved, to ensure proper alignment, but they're tight enough they don't move on their own.

I hope that answered your question.

Offline HighUintas

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2022, 04:29:54 AM »
Absolutely! Thank you very much. That will be a big help in attempting my first.