Author Topic: Lubing you patching material question  (Read 1311 times)

Offline Nessmuck

Lubing you patching material question
« on: June 03, 2022, 07:46:31 AM »
If you cut your material into strips…and plan to cut at the muzzle….how do you folks lube those strips of cloth ?  Just rub mink oil into the strip on both sides ,then roll it up ? Or squirt some moose milk on the patch,seat the ball and cut ? Thanks for you input

Offline Don Steele

Re: Lubing you patching material question
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2022, 01:01:33 PM »
When I need the very best precision possible, such as Table and Chunk shooting where a rest is involved I use pre-cut strips of material that have been soaked in a solution of Ballistol/ water then laid out flat and allowed to dry overnight, a la-Dutch Schoultz. I should add that for those competitions, I'm using a thicker patch that measures .020" ( compressed) and a .500 ball in my 50 caliber rifles with a solid brass 3/8" Range Rod to load.
For offhand shooting, I just use a (thinner) pre-cut patch, wet with about anything and can't tell much difference.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Not English

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 08:26:49 PM »
I've had good success with torn strips rubbed in Mink Oil and cut at the muzzle. I do not lube both sides. I dont lube the whole strip. Hunting, I use a loading block with lubed patches.

Offline DavidC

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2022, 08:44:46 PM »
Just use silk, you'll get an extra 20 yards.

Offline recurve

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2022, 01:08:57 AM »
I use tallow in a double boiler dip the strips and then squeezing out extra winding strips storing in old pill bottles

Offline mgbruch

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2022, 02:41:08 AM »
I cut square patches, rub them real good with mink oil, and put them in my shooting bag.  I don't cut the patch; just push everything down and seat the ball good.

Works.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2022, 04:21:14 AM »
I like to saturate the patch clear through and alternate a dry one between two saturated ones. I have a good supply of bear oil that I sometimes mix with Tracks mink oil.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2022, 09:33:50 PM »
I use pre-cuts, saturated with lube and store them in tin, brass or G silver snuff, tobacco and/or fire/starting boxes, some from Sucrets & hard candy conveyors, some from Trackofthewolf dot com.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2022, 06:16:13 PM »
I use a small tin and lube with Mr Flintlock, per our late Mad Monk's advice.  The Hoppe's BlackPowder lube and cleaner is also a great and slippery lube.  Just remember to final clean with Mr Flintlock to remove all graphite.  God Bless,  Marc

Offline Mule Brain

• Summerville, SC
    • Charles Towne Long Rifles Black Powder Club
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2022, 11:56:11 PM »
Just use silk, you'll get an extra 20 yards.

Those Without Arms Cannot Defend Freedom

South Carolina's Oldest Black Powder Club

https://charlestownelongrifles.com/