Author Topic: Second time around  (Read 2051 times)

Offline Gaeckle

Second time around
« on: June 04, 2022, 03:55:07 AM »
Here's a rifle that I just finished up. All the parts were used, old unknown (except the barrel and lock) and problematic. It started with the stock. Originally, when I inletted the barrel I made an error in cutting in the ramrod channel and ended up pretty much ruining a halfway decent piece of wood. I set it aside for something in the future. The barrel is a 36 Green Mountain that had been in a  previous rifle. It has rings in the bore from a heavy hand when the  underlugs were installed.  The lock is a used L&R Manton. The guard is an old original that had 2 holes in the front that I filled. The triggers are old,but from where and whose I don't know. I glued in a ramrod and recut the ramrod groove to the correct position. This is a simple affair, no butplate, two thimbles, the stock cracked at one point (stain on and 1st coat of finish) and I had run-out when drilling the ramrod, solved this with a wear plate. I'm planning on shooting it tomorrow.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 04:19:18 AM by Gaeckle »

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
Re: Second time around
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2022, 04:34:39 AM »
  Gaeckle I like it. It's got character ..!   Oldtravler

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2022, 04:35:22 AM »
It has rings in the bore from a heavy hand when the  underlugs were installed.

How did you address the rings?

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2022, 04:52:51 AM »
It has rings in the bore from a heavy hand when the  underlugs were installed.

How did you address the rings?

They're very slight, can't do anything about it and I'll find out how it shoots. I've shot this barrel before and it shot very good.

Offline LilysDad

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2022, 06:50:49 PM »
Sounds like an excellent example of making do on the frontier.

Offline RMann

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 04:05:35 PM »
Nice, a genuine "poor boy".  I Like the wood and metal finish, and the freedom you took in stock architecture, which fit your random mix of parts.

Offline Preacher Dave

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2022, 08:06:29 PM »
Good example of taking what you have and making do with it. I like the finished product and particularly using the wear plate to address the run out on the ramrod channel.

Offline tooguns

• I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2022, 03:54:53 PM »
"It has rings in the bore from a heavy hand when the  underlugs were installed. "
forgive my ignorance, but how can installing underlugs ring the barrel?

This is a very nice rifle with a great story.
It is best to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove any and all doubt....

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2022, 06:11:23 PM »
"It has rings in the bore from a heavy hand when the  underlugs were installed. "
forgive my ignorance, but how can installing underlugs ring the barrel?

This is a very nice rifle with a great story.

Here's the story on that. Way back in 1992 I picked this up from a local establishment. It was cheap, somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 bucks. When another individual cut in the underlugs he decided to further anchor them (perhaps the dovetails were a smidge to large) by using a punch and hammer. He got a little carried away and viola, there are rings, very slight at that, at the underlugs. This would have been my 4th, or 5th rifle built from a plank and I figured it would be an inexpensive way to learn. The rings were pointed out when I purchased it and pretty much fit my budget

Offline tooguns

• I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2022, 11:46:25 PM »
Thank you for the reply. This is a very nice rifle that shows not all mistakes can't be corrected
It is best to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove any and all doubt....

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2022, 04:15:55 PM »
Interesting configuration of parts to build a gun! I suspect you will be repairing that stock toe section in the future. Pointed and unsupported as it is, it’s a break waiting to happen 😳

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2022, 07:29:28 PM »
Interesting configuration of parts to build a gun! I suspect you will be repairing that stock toe section in the future. Pointed and unsupported as it is, it’s a break waiting to happen 😳

The toe is somewhat wide and broad, not at all like a typical  SMR, which is narrow and pointy. I've done that in a previous rifle and it has held up quite well, no breaks to speak of. It will show normal wear

Offline heinz

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2022, 10:10:35 PM »
John, how did it shoot?  I bet you could use a lead Lap to get this rings out of the bore,
kind regards, heinz

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2022, 03:41:04 AM »
John, how did it shoot?  I bet you could use a lead Lap to get this rings out of the bore,

Not to bad, it's consistent as long as I do my part. Probably took  12 shots. All off hand, I noticed that I'm  a bit shaky after my surgery. Would like to shoot it on a rest to, maybe this weekend.  I did think about using a lead lap, but I need to shoot it some more

Offline Dave B

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2022, 05:50:24 PM »
I guess i am thinking the "ring" is more of a "dent" at the spot of the underlug. It can be removed by Rich Pierce using his freshining technique. The cutter would knock down the high spot with a couple passes. He has helped me on a number of originals that I wanted to shoot and had rough bores. They are smooth as glass now and shoot very well. Its more of a function do you feel comfortable leaving it as is. If so your good to go. I really like the rifle's look. A very nice job of design. I like Kiblers SMR but I value some one going off road to make their own statment in building from scratch. I want to build one similar in the future. I wanted to ask what area was the  swoop cheek rest found? I have see a couple like that and like how you incorperated it in the design.
Dave Blaisdell