Author Topic: Conner Prairie - Thanks!  (Read 3483 times)

Rob Reber

Conner Prairie - Thanks!
« on: October 22, 2009, 05:04:49 PM »
I have posted on this board a few times in the past, but it seems that my old username and password no longer works!  So here is my first post in a while!  I recently attended the Arms Making Workshop at Conner Prairie (Indianapolis area) I would really like to thank the instructors that helped me through the process.  Jim Chambers, John Weston, and Jim Klein were great teachers!  I was in a class of about 10 students, and many different types of guns were being made.  An English Fowler, a couple of Lancasters, an Isaac Haines, an English Sporting Rifle, a Virginia rifle were some of the guns that were constructed.  The instruction that we received was invaluable, and all of the master builders/teachers gave excellent instruction.  They were very helpful with any question that we had, and they were very encouraging through the entire process.  This is the second Arms Workshop that I have attended at Conner Prairie - during the first workshop I built an Isaac Haines (with a lot of help from the instructors), and this time I built a Lancaster (also with help!).  Hopefully, both these rifles will be completely finished this spring.

Chambers, Weston, and Klein are class acts!  Take one of their courses - you will learn a lot.  I certainly have!

Offline Jim Chambers

Re: Conner Prairie - Thanks!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 08:36:43 PM »
Rob,
Many thanks for the complements.  This was one of (if not ) the best class we've taught there.  Virtually everyone did good quality work, and some even did exceptional work.  Just as important, I think everyone enjoyed themselves last week.  After all, why do something if it is not fun.  Classes are over for the year, but we will start again with classes here at our shop next spring, at Western Kentucky University in June, Conner Prairie again next Oct., and possibly a second late summer or early fall class again here at the shop.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 11:38:52 PM »
It's good to hear from both of you guys on this subject, I have been very interested in these classes and look forward to the opportunity to sign up for one, hopefully this coming year.
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 11:42:37 PM »
The Conner Prairie classes are excellent. I wasn't able to make it this fall but I will in the future. Thank you to all the people who take so much time away from the shop to teach. Is anyone aware if Nathan teaches  in the blacksmith shop any other times of the year?
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 08:12:49 PM »
Let me add my thanks too.  I took the screw tip horn class taught by Art DeCamp.  Art should be added to the above list of instructors deserving high praise.   Art is as good as a teacher as he is at horn making.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 12:33:19 AM »
I too took Jim's rifle-building class for the first time and learned much from the excellent masters. Thanks,
Gene

Lord Calvin

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 05:50:36 AM »
l too would like to compliment the instructers/teachers for a job well done. l took
the wire inlay class with John Schippers. "his book comes out the first of the year."
   And the folding knife class with Nathan Allen. And finished out the week with
forging gun mounts with Herschel House. To say l learned alot would be an understatement.  Also the auction Weds night was a hoot. l purchased a three jar lot of Barbies jellies. That came with the provizo that when the jars were empty all l had to do was send them back to Barbie and they would be re-filled up to five times !!!!!  What a deal.  l had a good time and l'll be back.