Author Topic: Getting Bullet Out of Flintlock  (Read 1940 times)

Offline Von Hayek

• Starting Member
Getting Bullet Out of Flintlock
« on: January 28, 2023, 04:32:31 AM »
My father loaded this gun probably 20 years ago at least with plastic sabot(?) and he tried and tired to remove it but failed. He dumped enough lubricant down the barrel that I am sure that the powder is destroyed. Someone had mentioned the possibility of using compressed air to force it out. Can someone recommend to me how you hook an air line up to a flintlock?

From the research I have done, removing the breech plug is another method. Is it any more difficult than unscrewing it then reattaching it afterwards.

Below is a photo of the bullet in the barrel. Thanks for the advice.

Offline MuskratMike

Re: Getting Bullet Out of Flintlock
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2023, 04:48:02 AM »
If it has been installed that long I would simply unscrew the breech. Probably lots of video out there but yea take the barrel out, tighten it securely in a padded vise and use a large well fitting wrench and unscrew it. Doesn't hurt to put a witness mark on both the barrel and plug to make sure when you put them back together they are exactly back where you want them. Also clean the threads well and use some copper anti-seize on the threads when rethreading the plug to the barrel. Don't ask me why I know this.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 05:07:22 AM »
I've only done this once but the method I used was unbreech the barrel and drove the bullet out with a steel rod. Caused damage to the bore so never again.

Today I would unbreech as before and make sure there was no powder. Next I would heat the end of the rod then gently contact the bullet and melt the lead out.

Others may have a better idea.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 05:52:42 AM »
If you do un breech the barrel dont just clamp it in a vice. Clamp it in a vice just in front of the breech plug threads so you dont collapse the barrel on to the threads even tighter. I use two brass sheets on the vice jaws to help keep from marring the barrel.

Offline Wil

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 12:01:19 PM »
I had a cleaning jag and patch unscrew from my ram rod and it was clear down as far as it would go. All attempts to screw the rod back onto the threads of the jag, failed. I took the barrel out to the shop and shot some compressed air into it and the jag came out without any effort. Since then I had bought one of those C02 dischargers and keep that handy in case I get a ball stuck.Other then that, they sell ball pullers for the end of your ram rod and then screw into the lead ball.

Offline Von Hayek

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 02:40:40 PM »
Thanks for all of the great advice. Unscrewing the breech plug seems the way to go although I think I would like to pursue the compressed air first. I suppose the only way to get air in there is force it through the touch hole?

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2023, 03:07:24 PM »
Perhaps invest in a CO2 ball discharger.  They are relatively inexpensive and work well.

Offline Col. Barnett

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2023, 03:22:20 PM »
Before trying to remove the breechplug, go to the Dollar Store and get a bottle of nail polish remover (acetone). Pour down the barrel, plug the bore and let it sit outdoors for awhile.  If it is a plastic sabot, it will soften or dissolve and the lead may(?) come right out

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2023, 04:28:53 PM »
If you don't want to try blowing out the bullet with compressed air or taking off the breech plug, you might want to try forcing the projectile out using a grease.  Take out the touch hole liner and get a Zerk fitting with matching treads.  Pump the grease in until the projectile comes out.  It is a messy thing to clean up, but the projectile will come out. 

Offline okawbow

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2023, 04:38:47 PM »
I would use a steel range rod and make a 1/4 diameter pulling screw, by turning or grinding down the shank and threading to fit the range rod. Should pull out if you can get enough threads screwed in.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline alacran

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2023, 04:53:40 PM »
I have a discharger and have removed a lot of projectiles with it mostly round ball. I have never tried to remove a bullet with a sabot.
If I had the need to do so I would probably do as suggested by Col.Barnett, I would pour acetone in the barrel and let it work on the plastic a while.
Then I would use the discharger with a fresh co2 cartridge to dislodge the bullet.
If for some reason that didn't work, I would try removing it with a range rod. If that fails, I would then remove the breech.
Always go with the easiest solution first.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline ScottNE

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2023, 05:00:06 PM »
I've only done this once but the method I used was unbreech the barrel and drove the bullet out with a steel rod. Caused damage to the bore so never again.

Today I would unbreech as before and make sure there was no powder. Next I would heat the end of the rod then gently contact the bullet and melt the lead out.

Others may have a better idea.

I agree. I tried the grease-pump method but the pressure eventually pushed out the fitting without budging the roundball - it was stuck extremely tight.

I used a similar method. Unbreeching and slowly and carefully drilling out the center of the ball worked for me. Once there was a hole all the way through, pushing the ball (lead ring at that point) out caused it to collapse in on itself and come out easily. With a bullet rather than a ball, heat would probably work better than drilling I'd imagine.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2023, 07:52:58 PM »
If there is a bullet in the sabot, you need to pull that first. A screw on a range rod or even the rifle's loading/wiping stick should work.
The ball screw is for pulling the ball, but would also work on the sabot, if the bullet is first removed. The worm may be needed for pulling the wad - or - CO2 discharger.
Hold the rubber nose against the side of the barrel and bingo- or something like that. Point in a safe direction if using CO2.
The work or screw will also break up the powder.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/121/1
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Von Hayek

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2023, 07:57:52 PM »
We have used a screw several times, and we just can't seem to get it to budge. Perhaps if the acetone softens up the plastic we might be able to get it with a screw?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 08:17:03 PM by Von Hayek »

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2023, 08:04:01 PM »
I took one of those CO2 dischargers and " plumbed  " it for my air compressor. It worked good if the volume of the bore wasn't too large. I can run the line pressure of my compressor up to 120 psi and would use it when I got home from hunting and didn't want to shoot out the load.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2023, 10:36:11 PM »
The nozzle of my air compressor would work against the vent just fine. My compressor barely makes 85psi, though.
The other compressor for filling carbon-fiber air tanks, runs to 4,500psi, but no volume to speak of straight from the
compressor, however if a hose could be run from a scuba tank to the barrel, it would certainly blow out whatever was
in there.
Aluminum scuba tanks run to 3,000psi, steel ones to 3,3??psi and the carbon fiber tanks, mostly to 4,500spi.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline GO OutDoors

• Starting Member
    • Go OutDoors
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2023, 12:19:54 AM »
The easiest way would to remove the touch hole liner clean out the old power. Put 20 grains of new powder in. Tamp the bullet down on the powder. Put the liner back in and shot it out.

Offline DGB

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2023, 02:26:02 AM »
I have to agree with Muskrat.
If the barrel had been fired before the stuck load, it is dirty below the bullet and probably rusted, to say the least.
Best to pull the plug to see what it looks like. Then punch the bullet out and proceed.

Good luck,
DGB

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2023, 04:00:16 AM »
Depending on what type of liner you have removing it might destroy it so you would need a new one of the proper size and thread type. If  the gun has been loaded dirty and left that way for a long  time the barrel will probably need a good scrubbing at the least so I would remove the plug and drive the load out with a stout hickory rod and inspect the barrel. That way you save the current vent.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2023, 05:34:54 AM »
Acetone, now that someone mentioned it, would be my first choice to get things moving if I could not shoot it out.  Acetone is ruthless to most plastics. It should loosen things right up I'd think.

It might be noted that the nail-polish remover acetone usually REEKS to high-heavens (of perfume) and I won't use it -any-more in my shop. I now keep a quart can of acetone for the odd jobs. Kroil has a much nicer aroma.  ;D
Hold to the Wind

Offline Mule Brain

• Summerville, SC
    • Charles Towne Long Rifles Black Powder Club
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2023, 05:55:18 PM »
Before I did anything else, I would try and shoot it out. If that failed I would try and get a little powder in behind it and fire it it out.

Those Without Arms Cannot Defend Freedom

South Carolina's Oldest Black Powder Club

https://charlestownelongrifles.com/

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2023, 12:06:24 AM »
I have done this several times. I unscrew the breech plug then using a BRASS range rod I drive the stuck projectile out, from back to front.
Haven't damaged a barrel yet with the brass rod.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2023, 12:30:52 AM »
Also sounds like you could benefit from a ball puller with a coarser thread?