General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Neetsfoot oil for patch lube

<< < (2/7) > >>

MuskratMike:
Tacitus:
I have great success with both Neatsfoot oil and TOTW mink, but take time and really read Marcruger's post. Marc is wise beyond his years (however many that may be). Find what works for you and stick with it. The "Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" is a recipe for frustration.

Daryl:
I've used both, Neetsfoot Oil and Track's Mink Oil for hunting with my .69, as well as using both in the .36 for trail walks.
I find Mink oil to be slipperier(?) than  Neetsfoot Oil when loading in the .36, but did not notice this with the .69 rifle.
I don't think I would use any of the liquids like LHV or Mr. Flintlock for hunting. For that purpose, Neestfoot Oil and Track's
Mink Oil work just fine.
Accuracy wise, the slippery lubes like Mr. Flintock or LHV, for me gave identical accuracy to my normal water based lubes, if
I added an extra 5gr. 3F in the .36, 10gr. 3F or 2F in both the .40 and .45 rifles.

Scota4570:
I have used neetsfoot.  It works about like any other oily stuff.  The key is to not use so much as to make a slimy mess.

I have also use lots of other oils and greases.  For now I am sticking with beef tallow on rolled up strips of patch material.  IT is clean to use and mostly solid in my climate.  It melts in the bore upon firing.  I have it in the kitchen anyway. 

For load testing I use GI bore cleaner. 

Jojoba is supposed to be similar to whale oil.  Recently I tried Jojoba oil with a dash of anhydrous lanolin.     That was very slick.  It also got on my hands and ramrod.  IT did not shoot any better than other. Bear oil worked fine but had no magic.  Olive oil, crisco, vegetable oil, vaseline,  lanolin, deer tallow, mineral oil, bore butter and all other greases and oils work about the same for me. 

One thing that seems to have advantages is a soft BPCR type lube with soap in it.  I make up the lube, then add MOS instead of soap shavings.  IT come out like peanut butter.  For cap an ball revolvers, filling the base of a bullet or sabot it really helps.  The lube turns to liquid upon firing and coats the bore.  Loading is very easy and cleaning not needed for many shots from a loading perspective.

Mike from OK:
I tested Dr. Jackson's pure NFO as a patch lube... Loading was very easy. Accuracy decreased though. Perhaps it was actually too slick.

Also... every time I fired the gun I got a faint whiff of steaks grilling. Kinda nice. Lol

Muskrat Mike's mix of NFO and Track's Mink tallow has worked pretty well for me... I didn't measure out a 50/50 mix. I just added NFO until I got a consistency I thought would work. Mine is in the neighborhood of petroleum jelly.

YMMV.

Mike

AZshot:
I have used it as my only lube this go-round (I didn't shoot BM much for 15 years).  It seems to load fairly easy, but my cleaning (round bottom grooves) is very tedious.  The patches smell like BP, so I'm pretty sure it's not the oil.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version