Author Topic: Question about the Jos Bogle Rifle  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Big_Rubber_Duck

• Starting Member
Question about the Jos Bogle Rifle
« on: June 07, 2022, 05:50:30 AM »
I see that the dimensions of the bogle rifle are listed on its page here on the forum, but one thing I noticed it doesn't have is the weight of the rifle. Does anyone know how much it weighs, or can direct me to where it might say? I know its not necessarily an important aspect of the rifle, but I find myself wanting to know more about it every time I look at pictures of it. Really makes me want to acquire a reproduction somehow someday lol.

Thanks,
Duck

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Question about the Jos Bogle Rifle
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 01:49:45 AM »
I have one in .40 by the current Joe Bogle, I will get it out of the safe and weigh it, Joe works off the original measurements and such.

OK , mine weighs in at  7#, one with a more robust .54 cal barrel may weigh another pound. He makes flint an percussion and gifted this one to me, most of his guns have a Bogle patch box on them. I don't think he is making any more, he just turned 80.

Here is Joe with the original when he was measuring and photographing it.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 01:55:08 AM by Eric Krewson »

Offline Big_Rubber_Duck

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 02:24:32 AM »
Thanks for the reply! Weighs about what I expected it to. I'm sad to hear he doesn't make them anymore, but that's just life. I'll just have to get more experience and make one myself sometime haha.

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 05:42:54 AM »
I would be surprised if the original was only seven pounds. I've seen both originals but never handled either. Most of the old southern rifles are fairly hefty at least the ones I've had in hand. I don't worry about the weight of original rifles when I'm making a copy. I want the one I make to be as light as possible if I'm going to be toting it around any.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2022, 12:37:43 AM »
I handled the original a few years back and the best I remember it has a fairly heavy barrel on it. As Brian says, don't worry about the original dimensions of a barrel unless you are trying to make a bench copy. Most of the time you can make a better balancing rifle with a modern barrel that has similar breech dimensions and barrel length.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"