Author Topic: Fusil de chasse vs english smoothbores  (Read 2120 times)

Offline Bushfire

Fusil de chasse vs english smoothbores
« on: June 10, 2022, 02:29:13 AM »
G'day all,

Bearing in mind that I'm still relatively new to the world of traditional muzzleloaders can someone please explain the differences between a french fusil de chasse and an english fowler and the various "trade guns". Are trade guns any generic smoothbore flintlock that was sold/traded to the indians? My journey into muzzleloaders started with an inline about 8 years ago, I then went to hawken caplocks and inevitably flintlocks. I'm finding myself drawn more and more to the 18th century and smoothbore guns so I'm trying to develop my knowledge as best I can.

In terms of english vs french smoothbores, what are the key differences?

I currently have a Pedersoli trade gun which I assume is based off an english style gun. I want to be very clear, it is a flawless gun in terms of function. I only use 2F prime and it's almost instantaneous ignition and rarely misses a beat. But I think I'd still like to buy or build a more custom smoothbore, and preferably something based off the french side of things as a nod to my french heritage. My grandfather was a frenchman who immigrated to Australia after WW2. On my paternal side, my family assumed we were pretty much all irish but some ancestry work was done by an auntie and turns out we have french there as well.

Any help would be great on both the differences of what makes a fusil a fusil and also where I can get one. Realistically with exchange rates and freight costs a kit would be probably more realistic than a finished gun. I could always get a pedersoli corrige or charleville but I prefer a lighter fowler piece for hunting in the bush.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Fusil de chasse vs english smoothbores
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2022, 02:46:28 AM »
Great questions. What is your specific timeframe of interest (say a 40 year period)?  There were many variations and price levels for (let’s call them) non-military export smoothbores sent to North America from France and Great Britain.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2022, 05:26:29 AM »
Check out Alex Efremenko’s fusils.

Boy thems real nice.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 05:57:37 AM »
My impression is that few white folks in the colonial period in English speaking areas used French fusils. There was a strong French influence on some New England fowlers where parts from French guns were often re-used.
Andover, Vermont

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2022, 01:13:42 PM »
Hi,
Your first stop should be to find books by Russell Bouchard, Rene Chartrand, and Kevin Gladysz They all wrote about French firearms in colonial North America.  There is too much history and too many details than can be covered in a short thread on this site.  I am very partial to English fowlers because I find their balance and stock designs fit me much better than the French hunting guns commonly used in North America during the 18th century.  While the original hunting guns were often nicely proportioned, a lot of the modern interpretations of the French "cow's foot" design have high awkward wrists and too much pitch to the butt plate.

dave 
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline alacran

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2022, 01:50:44 PM »
If you want to shoot it I would stick to the English designs. I have both and the architecture of the French guns are  not as pleasant to shoot.
I am not an Anglophile by any means. But you have to give credit where credit is due.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2022, 03:43:04 PM »
My first question is usually this. What do you want to do with it ?    Many of the so called french designs offered today are exaggerated stock designs IMO and not all that comfortable to shoot.  My friend's fusil beats up his cheek with every shot. Another issue can be historically proper locks if that is important to you
I'm happy with the French influenced New England fowler offered by Chambers.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2022, 04:37:01 PM »
Colonial Frontier guns by TM Hamilton is a great resource as well that you can actually find for a reasonable  price.  The book by Glayz is probably the best. But I doubt you'll find it for less than $400.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2022, 04:42:54 PM »
Colonial Frontier guns by TM Hamilton is a great resource as well that you can actually find for a reasonable  price.  The book by Glayz is probably the best. But I doubt you'll find it for less than $400.
I have one I rent out.  ;D

Mike and others, what non-French, non-Native Americans do you reckon were using French trade guns in the colonies?
Andover, Vermont

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2022, 05:39:38 PM »
Hi Rich,
I am sure New Englanders bordering French held areas probably acquired French guns.  When the English colonists disarmed and removed the French Acadians in 1755, I am sure they took home many French hunting guns. It seems strange to me that the popularity in parts of NE for French designs and French parts would not be accompanied by an interest in French guns if they were made available.

dave   

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2022, 06:31:47 PM »
Hi Rich,
I am sure New Englanders bordering French held areas probably acquired French guns.  When the English colonists disarmed and removed the French Acadians in 1755, I am sure they took home many French hunting guns. It seems strange to me that the popularity in parts of NE for French designs and French parts would not be accompanied by an interest in French guns if they were made available.

dave   
DITTO
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Brian Sweeney

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2022, 01:56:38 AM »
 I agree with bob in the woods. The New England fowler from Chambers is a good one. Only $780.00 inc shipping. The barrel is $350.00 inc shipping.               
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 02:02:07 AM by Brian Sweeney »

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2022, 02:23:53 PM »

Mike and others, what non-French, non-Native Americans do you reckon were using French trade guns in the colonies?

Hi Rich,
I've been reading Francis Parkman's "Montcalm and Wolfe" again and read a passage stating that Robert Rogers knowledge of the lands between NH, Vermont, and Quebec was gained during his early career probably as a smuggler of goods between French Canada and New England.

dave