Author Topic: Changing my approach to the forum  (Read 1946 times)

Offline Terry Cheek

• Proverbs 27:17
Changing my approach to the forum
« on: June 10, 2022, 05:33:27 PM »
I have gotten a lot of great advice and instruction from many questions about my SMR build. Those giving the information have no idea how much I appreciate their input. However, I feel like I am wearing out my welcome. Therefore, I am going to stop asking so many questions. I will continue to post pictures of my progress and welcome any constructive or instructive criticism or comments. Thank you all again.
Respectfully
Terry

Christian/Hunter/Trapper/Gatherer/Bushcrafter

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: Changing my approach to the forum
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2022, 06:29:15 PM »
It's pretty hard to wear out your welcome here.  I don't think you are close.  It's better to ask a question than make a dumb mistake and ruin a stock or bunch of parts.  There's not one person on this board that didn't start somewhere.

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2022, 06:33:28 PM »
Ask away, most of these guys are just waiting on their next SS check!!

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 06:42:48 PM »
It's not up to any individual whether you're welcome or not. The moderators would have contacted you if there was an issue. Stay and ask questions and don't let anyone run you off!
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Online Frozen Run

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2022, 07:05:47 PM »
However, I feel like I am wearing out my welcome.

Nonsense, if you were wearing out your welcome here then Stoner would tell you, he's not shy about things.

Offline Terry Cheek

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2022, 07:16:40 PM »
It's not up to any individual whether you're welcome or not. The moderators would have contacted you if there was an issue. Stay and ask questions and don't let anyone run you off!

No one is running me off. Everyone I have been in contact with has been terrific. I'm not going anywhere.
Respectfully
Terry

Offline Terry Cheek

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2022, 07:17:42 PM »

However, I feel like I am wearing out my welcome.

Nonsense, if you were wearing out your welcome here then Stoner would tell you, he's not shy about things.

;D
Respectfully
Terry

Offline HighUintas

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2022, 02:16:16 AM »
Terry, I feel the exact same way! Although, I am fairly confident that it is a self imposed feeling because I think I ask a new question just about every other day.

I'm 35, so I grew up with the internet at my fingertips, as well as books, and so my method of learning my entire adult life has been a combination of both resources. Money is really tight at the moment, so I'm not able to buy every single book I'd like to have to learn about this adventure. Also, there happens to be some absolutely incredibly talented people still participating in this forum, so I would like to get their advice and input while they are doing so. I also only know one person that builds rifles, but he is three and a half hours away and is currently laid up from surgery. Otherwise, I'd probably be at his house everyday bugging him!

With my extremely limited knowledge due to being so green, about the only way I can contribute to this community, which I enjoy participating in even when I don't have questions to be answered, is by asking questions to solve problems and hope that a future builder finds the answers later on.

Your rifle is looking great!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 03:07:30 AM by HighUintas »

Offline Terry Cheek

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2022, 02:49:46 AM »
I understand. I'm 58, I remember life before internet, computers or cell phones. My father taught me how to make a modern gunstock from scratch by using an old one as a pattern. Building the flintlock kit creates simple questions because I have no pattern or recollection of handling one to reference. I'm learning a lot and enjoying the journey. Thank you, for being patient.
Respectfully
Terry

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2022, 03:18:54 AM »
As my old high school shop teacher used to say…..there are no dumb questions.  ( only dumb answers)
Mike Mullins

Offline Terry Cheek

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2022, 04:00:44 AM »
As my old high school shop teacher used to say…..there are no dumb questions.  ( only dumb answers)

I've used that one myself.
Respectfully
Terry

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2022, 01:47:23 PM »
The only "Dumb questions" are the unasked ones,dumb as defined by mute.I am now 86 and there are a few others older and we
all remember picking up the phone and hearing an operator say "Number please"or hear another person talking on a shared party line.
Ask and ask again.What one of us doesn't know another one will and our combined experiences are available.
Bob Roller

Offline Terry Cheek

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2022, 03:05:47 PM »
The only "Dumb questions" are the unasked ones,dumb as defined by mute.I am now 86 and there are a few others older and we
all remember picking up the phone and hearing an operator say "Number please"or hear another person talking on a shared party line.
Ask and ask again.What one of us doesn't know another one will and our combined experiences are available.
Bob Roller

The old party line, I remember it from my childhood. Thank you Bob.
Respectfully
Terry

Offline Terry Cheek

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2022, 03:14:15 PM »
My Kibler kit arrived wonderfully designed and machined. In my case, it is my first flintlock build and one that is period correct. Also, Kibler kits are so well machined. In my case, I felt intimidated due to having limited knowledge of flintlocks and only having access to photographs and drawings of originals. However, I continued to ask many questions to gain confidence and, to the best of my ability, work to build a period-correct flintlock. Experienced builders with confidence could probably build these kits blindfolded. I hope this answers concerns about my subject. In my case, they are for the builder instead of the kit.
Respectfully
Terry

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2022, 09:53:57 PM »
Terry,

If you want to read of someone wearing out there welcome, just look in my old thread history and for the screen name “Smokey Plainsman.”

I’ve probably asked a hundred! Lol. My thinking is if the guys here don’t want to chat about our great hobby and sport, they wouldn’t be here. Haven’t worn out my welcome yet and I’ll keep asking. ;)

Offline Terry Cheek

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2022, 03:54:07 AM »
Terry,

If you want to read of someone wearing out there welcome, just look in my old thread history and for the screen name “Smokey Plainsman.”

I’ve probably asked a hundred! Lol. My thinking is if the guys here don’t want to chat about our great hobby and sport, they wouldn’t be here. Haven’t worn out my welcome yet and I’ll keep asking. ;)

Okay, thank you. I appreciate your encouragement.
Respectfully
Terry