Author Topic: A few questions from a new black powder shooter  (Read 2449 times)

Online Bob Roller

Re: A few questions from a new black powder shooter
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2022, 02:03:32 PM »
I would also recommend a thicker patch .018-.020. Mix up some dawn dish washing soap and water 40% dawn 60 percent water. Try that for lube, and you can shoot till the cows come home!
No swabbing, just shot after shot!

Interesting idea but what about a build up at the point of ignition/combustion? Wouldn't the build up of fouling change the pressure generated by subsequent shots.I have never used Schuetzen powder but do know that my
experience with Swiss was that a hard fouling was present but I was shooting a 560 grain lubricated bullet.
Bob Roller

Offline Daryl

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2022, 06:42:36 PM »
Over the course of ours on the trail walk, the buildup of powder fouling in the breech was evident, however it never hurt accuracy. What we would see
as a steady creeping up the rod from the loading mark as the fouling built up and reduced the 'chamber' area. This did not hurt accuracy, nor did it disturb
ignition. Depending on the bore, the same charge and patched ball on it, would show about 1/4" above the rod's mark. This is normal and nothing to be
concerned about. This would be after from 30 to 60 shots - no wiping nor swabbing at any time. We've even done close to 100 shots, NP AND no fouling
buildup in the bore, just at the breech.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

AZ_Artilleryman

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2022, 04:30:22 AM »
I think I've got it figured out. I worked the crown over again, this time with 320 grit and then 400 grit. Patches were coming out with one or no holes now. As an interesting aside, sanding the crown changed the point of impact to where my front sight is actually closer to center than it was before so that's pretty cool.

I drifted the front sight and filed on it a bit after settling on a load of 75 grains 3F under a .490" ball in .018" mink oil lubed patch. I started my confirmation group to ensure the sights are good, but on the second shot I dry-balled it. That's what I get for talking to my buddy while loading. I couldn't get the ball out at the range so I had to call it a day and use the vise at home to get sufficient force to pull the ball.

Here's my one-shot zero confirmation at 50 yards, and the last couple patches I found.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2022, 01:55:56 PM »
Patches look pretty good now, although showing some blow- by.
Daryl

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2022, 06:48:51 PM »
Next time you dry ball just work some 4F behind the ball through the touchhole and shoot it out. May take a couple try’s, but it will get it out.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2022, 01:16:47 PM »
I haven't noticed smoothing the crown to change the point of impact, as I do this before ever shooting the gun. The o ly reason I can see that smoothing the crown would change the POI is if the original crown was not square, or, your "smoothed" crown is not. 
Well smoothed, if the material is well lubed and of good integrity, it will not get ANY holes and will be "good" for more than one shot if picked up and relubed.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 01:21:41 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline recurve

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2022, 06:29:03 PM »
If you have an old pr of mens jeans cut some patches from the lower leg (not the knee wears thin)  if 100 cotton should be 10oz denium a cheap way of try thicker patches (joeanne fabric has it by the yrd) and what ever lube (I like tallows)

and yes square patches are just fine for groups

Ther are 3 kinds of people who dry balled
1 those who have
2 those who will
3 those who are liars saying it has NEVER (& will never)happened to them

If a flint lock next time it happens(and it will :'( ) try pushing some powder(4f) into the touch hole and shooting it out in a safe dirrection MAKE sure the ball is seated before fireing (check with ram rod to make sure it left the barrel ) if not add more powder through touch hole AND RESEAT the ball & try 2nd time or get a co2 discharger
and adopt the NO TALKING RULE when loading
Don't ask how I know the above  ::) (I'm in the 1&2 listing)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 07:48:00 PM by recurve »