Author Topic: Help ID Pennsylvania “Kentucky” Long Rifle  (Read 1429 times)

Jetdriverhendrix

Help ID Pennsylvania “Kentucky” Long Rifle
« on: June 13, 2022, 01:44:14 PM »
Hello!  I was told this rifle is early 1800 to  1840… And is likely from Franklin, Somerset, Bedford, or Hagerstown, Pennsylvania.

If anyone could possibly identify this long rifle, time period, and perhaps has an idea who the maker might be I would appreciate it…thank you in advance!

Offline Dobyns

Re: Help ID Pennsylvania “Kentucky” Long Rifle
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 08:26:20 PM »
Looking at what I can see of the lock and offside panel, I would guess 1830s as the earliest.  I can't say that I recognize that trigger guard as it looks awfully thick for that time period.  The spurred trigger guard sometimes shows up in Huntingdon-Center-Blair Counties, but they seem thinner.  Huntingdon guns generally have a turned round trigger.  The inlays look to be coin silver as opposed to German silver.

Is there a signature or initials between the rear sight and tang?

Jetdriverhendrix

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 08:35:57 PM »
Hello!  Well….being new to ID’ing…I need all the help I can get.  There is quite a bit of patina as well as grime on the barrel.  I’m reluctant to cleaning it up as I’m sure there is a signature on here somewhere.  I’ll keep looking…any suggestions on removing the grime?  Thanks! 

Offline Dobyns

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2022, 08:50:08 PM »
I would be hesitant to remove the patina, but I would be looking for something that looks like "other than patina" and then photographing it.  Its surprising what might appear in a blown up photograph, or photographs from various angles.

SOMEBODY might recognize something else about this rifle that suggests a particular maker or area.  That long patchbox spring is interesting.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2022, 08:55:53 PM »
The images showing the barrel indicate it has a good surface without excess oxidation or rust. If a signature is present, it should be visible. It would be located several inches behind the rear sight on the top barrel flat, usually as a first initial and last name, at times as two initials. Sometimes when written in old script, it's a little hard to figure out at first glance, so if anything is there, please post a couple images of it, taken with the light coming from different directions to highlight all details.

The gun appears to be in good condition with a nice patina, without any need for cleaning... but it looks like the butt plate has had some cleaning to removes patina/oxidation already. 

Shelby Gallien

Jetdriverhendrix

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2022, 09:02:53 PM »
There appears to be an “L” or “J” maybe a “1” just in front of the screw, I can’t make it out.  As well as other lettering between the sight and tang.  I know it’s really hard to make out but here are the pics.

Jetdriverhendrix

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2022, 09:30:24 PM »
I know its hard to see..but there are two letters…first one I’m still not sure..possibly a “J” or “I.”  The second letter is definitely an “M” the letters (written in old style script) are between the two marks on the pic.  Thanks again…

Jetdriverhendrix

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2022, 09:35:10 PM »
Looks like J. Mill? Mills? Very faint and hard to see in the photos..but I can make it out barely.  Thoughts?

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2022, 07:06:32 AM »
My vote is for 'Mier' of Huntingdon County. Side plate suggest that as well. Advise that you do nothing to the metal or wood. It appears that the stock may have been worked over at some point in time. Nice gun in pretty good condition. Thank you for bringing it in!
Dick

Jetdriverhendrix

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2022, 01:03:16 PM »
Thanks…a Mier…do you have photos of his work?  I’m new to this and appreciate the help!  Dan

Offline Dobyns

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2022, 02:31:03 PM »
Meier(s), Sam and Jacob, were Somerset County.

Jetdriverhendrix

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2022, 02:37:41 PM »
Thanks for the info! 

Dan

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2022, 08:06:37 PM »
Dan, see if you can find the book "Gunsmiths of Bedford, Fulton, Huntingdon, & Somerset Counties" by James B.Whisker and Larry W. Yantz, copyright 2001 and published through Track of the Wolf. You will find photos of work done by the major makers in those counties and some biographical  information as well. The Miers were important builders in Huntingdon.
Dick

Jetdriverhendrix

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2022, 08:28:16 PM »
Thanks Dick…I can make out “J MI — — (can’t make out the other two letters.) More folks are saying a Jacob Mier..thanks for your help.

Dan

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2022, 12:43:41 AM »
 There is a couple in the ALR library: https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?board=355.0

Tim C.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 12:48:28 AM by Tim Crosby »

Jetdriverhendrix

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2022, 04:12:37 AM »
Thanks Tim.

Dan