Author Topic: Min wall thickness at muzzle  (Read 1585 times)

Offline Dennis Daigger

Min wall thickness at muzzle
« on: June 12, 2022, 05:12:11 AM »
What is the safe minimum wall thickness at the muzzle for a .58 caliber pistol with a 10 1/2" barrel?
Dennis

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Min wall thickness at muzzle
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2022, 05:32:00 AM »
Look at a 58 caliber Civil War rifle like the 1858 Enfield.
Bob Roller

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2022, 05:52:58 AM »
I'm thinking with that short barrel and probably only half of what you would shoot for powder in a 58, you could go as thin as any 24 gauge smooth bore barrel.

Offline Goo

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2022, 02:37:25 PM »
Smooth bore can be very thin look at some originals, also check out Ken Netting`s smooth barrels rifled is a different story pressures go up with those and they should be heavier.
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2022, 03:03:33 PM »
I'm thinking with that short barrel and probably only half of what you would shoot for powder in a 58, you could go as thin as any 24 gauge smooth bore barrel.

Military service load was 65 grains in the American service rifles and the British was higher but I forget what it was.
Bob Roller

Offline Dennis Daigger

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2022, 09:05:15 PM »
Thanks for the responses but I don't have access to any of the guns you folks reference and not sure they are relevant to what I'm trying to figure out.

I know that .100" barrel wall thickness at the muzzle provides sufficient strength for even heavy loads. What I'm trying to determine is how far below this can I go for a .58 caliber pistol barrel with a margin of safety? Is .075" sufficient? What about .060"? This is a rifled barrel that I'm profiling but don't think that should matter.
Dennis

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2022, 10:02:20 PM »
Muzzleloader Builders Supply sold oct. to round barrels but dont know the specks on them and if any were available in 58 but his catalog might list the specks.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2022, 05:19:23 AM »

Military service load was 65 grains in the American service rifles and the British was higher but I forget what it was.
Bob Roller
The official English load for the Enfield rifle musket was 2 1/2 drachams or 68.36 grains.
Psalms 144

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2022, 09:53:06 AM »
I would be careful about comparing the wall thickness of a long barrel service rifle to a short barrel on a pistol.  The rifle or smoothbore has a longer space in which to reduce the initial pressure of ignition.  I have had shotguns with wall thickness of .018 near the muzzle with no problem.  If that thickness had been in the first half of the barrel it would have failed without question.   

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2022, 02:37:29 AM »
Dennis, I have two .54 cal smoothbore pistols.  One has a metal thickness of .114, the other 0.99. 
hope that helps.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Dennis Daigger

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2022, 03:16:33 AM »
Dennis, I have two .54 cal smoothbore pistols.  One has a metal thickness of .114, the other 0.99. 
hope that helps.
Thanks, Craig. That is exactly what I was looking for. I know a bit about smokeless powder pressure curve calculation at various points in a barrel's length but the black powder stuff is new to me. I will use .100" as a min.
Dennis
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 04:01:12 AM by Dennis Daigger »