Author Topic: Long Jag Tips ?  (Read 6573 times)

Pvt. Lon Grifle

Long Jag Tips ?
« on: October 24, 2009, 03:52:11 AM »
Is anyone aware of a supplier  who has long jag tips, Perhaps 2" long, vice the usual  3/4" ?  I need several in several different calibers.  Lon

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Long Jag Tips ?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 03:25:46 PM »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 06:52:50 PM »
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=7008.0

Check out this post.  Jim's worms work perfectly with patches of cloth as well as tow.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 08:39:25 PM »
Lon,

Check all the muzzle loading supply businesses like Muzzleloader Builders Supply, Dixie Gun Works or Track of the Wolf and if you still can't find any long jags, you can buy extensions for the shorter jags.

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

BrownBear

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 11:17:42 PM »
Don't know if they're quite long enough for you, but TOW has a good selection of them, in around 1 1/2" length as I recall.

Pvt. Lon Grifle

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 11:58:48 PM »
Mr. Webb's tow worms are indeed  useful works of art and I would love to have a half dozen of various calibers.  Nevertheless I shoot today, wear bifocals, and camo and so must make do with modern jags.   

I do in fact have a dozen various of Track's standard jags and they are all the shorter types I want to get away from.   I have searched all the suppliers I know of for longer jags.  While most of my gun rods are tipped and threaded, adding an inch or so with a jag is of little use to me if only an inch of tapered, smooth wood tip sticks out the barrel with a tight patch snugly on a short jag down in the breech on the other end and I'm a mile and a half up the creek from the truck. A 2 or 3" jag would be a boon trying to freshen a  fouled.32  after bagging a haversack of squirrels and needing just one or two more for the day.   

I'm not quite ready to start carrying a wiping stick. Perhaps I need a universal adapter for each rod diameter, sort of like the adapter for a M-16 GI cleaning kit to transition to 8-32 tips instead of the 8-36 military.   Lon

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 12:18:05 AM »
In my tool pouch which goes into my hunting bag, is a 4" length of 3/8" dia. steel rod, drilled through the middle with a hole that fits a 3 1/2" spike, also in the bag.  Both ends of the rod are threaded...one end male thread 8 x 32 to go into my ramrod, and the other female thread 8 x 32 for my jag.  This extension makes using the ramrod for a cleaning rod, in the field, a snap. 
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

BrownBear

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 01:03:00 AM »
That sounds handy.  I've got one of those "ram rod puller" thingies in  my bag, but it's a PITA for much more than it's intended use.

FG1

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 01:03:21 AM »
Make an extention as Taylor posted but of 5/16" rod stock 4" long with the 8-32 female thread at one end and 8-32 male threads on other . I made one by drilling and tapping both ends and then using locktite thread locker , a short 8-32 screw was tightened in one end the cut off to about 1/2".  

Pvt. Lon Grifle

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 01:49:52 AM »
Thank you Gentlemen. I think the practical answer has arrived for me. The adapter sized for a 32 but long enough and strong enough for a 54.  Lon

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 09:11:55 AM »
How about something like this.  I am just about to start manufacturing a large batch.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=2706.0
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Peashooterjoe

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 02:30:09 AM »
Davec's would have be the best.. ..Peashooterjoe
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 02:31:53 AM by Peashooterjoe »

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 05:07:59 AM »
Yep, I definately want one of those from Dave.   :D
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

J.D.

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 09:26:18 PM »
While the manufactured jags and worms work pretty well, I made an extension that is about 6" long by adding a coupla ramrod tips to  a 6" piece of hickory ramrod. An 8-32 screw, screwed locktited into one of the tips, on the extension, serves to screw it into the rod.

Such an extension can be made in any length, for any caliber.

God bless

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 11:02:26 PM »
Since I switched to using worms, I have come to detest and belittle jags.
Jags require fabric of a particular size and thickness. It is quite possible to get a jag stuck.  The fabric does a fairly lousy job of cleaning the grooves.

Worms can be used with fabric, tow, unraveled twine, a birdsnest of weed fibers,  cornhusks, or whatever is handy, are quite unlikely to get stuck, and the fibers of the material used are more likely to get down into the grooves of the rifling.  Our forefathers know what they were doing.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 09:36:46 PM »
Since I switched to using worms, I have come to detest and belittle jags.
Jags require fabric of a particular size and thickness. It is quite possible to get a jag stuck.  The fabric does a fairly lousy job of cleaning the grooves.

Worms can be used with fabric, tow, unraveled twine, a birdsnest of weed fibers,  cornhusks, or whatever is handy, are quite unlikely to get stuck, and the fibers of the material used are more likely to get down into the grooves of the rifling.  Our forefathers know what they were doing.

Good points.  I"ve never tried a worm with tow - but I will.  A worm would not be quite as "caliber specific" either would it?  Just wrap a little more tow on it ........ ?
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

tuffy

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 02:30:36 AM »
How about something like this.  I am just about to start manufacturing a large batch.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=2706.0

Dave, I sent a PM.