Author Topic: Here we go again , pistol tang carving round no.4  (Read 4585 times)

Online Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Here we go again , pistol tang carving round no.4
« on: October 24, 2009, 04:01:56 PM »
This is my second attempt at the design, I've decided to use. I did the initial cut for the back grounding with a knife. The cuts on the outside of the design went reasonably well. But doing the cut on the inside of the vines produced alot of kinks. Espally the the curve marked A->B was hard to do going across grain. After "ironing" out the kinks, this curve became to rounded and a bit lopsided, leaning in direction A(it shows more on the caving, than on the picture). When cutting, I tried to follow exactly the outline of the design. Should I have cut outside the line and afterwords "nibble" carefully to the line? I had thought of stabbing this curve, but none of gauges fit the curve exactly.

I think the lower leaf on the final looks right now. Something looks strange at point C, where the leaves of the finals meet. I'm not sure what. Suggestions??
I think the root of the final, point D should start further down on the vine. Suggestions?? The balls on the end of the vines look a bit big. Should the be smaller? Anything else I should change?? Suggestions, comments and critiques welcome.

Best regards
Rolfkt
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 11:50:51 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: Here we go again , pistol tang carving round no.4
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 04:33:31 PM »
My comment?
Make the pistol.
If you wait until everything you do is perfect you will never make a gun.
They are never "perfect" there is always something wrong with them from the makers standpoint.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 06:27:43 PM »
Dan is right.  Any of us would be delighted with what you have shown here, if it were on a pistol.  With all the energy you obviously have, this is not going to be your only pistol/rifle/gun.  So stop practicing, and get on with it.  Even if you were to create something that was flawless, within a year or two, you'd think it was $#@*.  That is the mature of this craft.  It's supposed to be handmade, and look that way. 
Now, make the pistol.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

billd

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 07:45:22 PM »
Your number 2 was better then my number 10. Go for it.
Bill

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 07:16:42 AM »
I'm with Taylor. Go do it. Then post it and ask for a critique.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 06:05:13 PM »
I agree with the others,,,, time to put it on the gun

At your point C question. That line needs to be curved a bit, just like on your drawing. The end of the line needs to point toward point D.
The lower leaf in the drawing looks fine,,,,, the carved one has a hump instead of a smoth flow. Do the carving more like you've drawn it, and it'll look fine!

Now Go for it!

John

John Robbins

Online Rolf

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 10:46:50 AM »
Thank you for your comments and encouragement. It will be a while before I've get time to carve it on the the stock. I've started cramming for my fifth year medical school examens, January, 2010.

Since farming went down the drain in Norway, I quit working as veterinarian and went back to collage to become a doctor. If I pass, I got one more year of collage left before my I get my licence.

Best regards

Rolfkt
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 11:17:24 AM by Rolfkt »

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 03:46:30 PM »
Rolf,

Good Luck on the med school exams!

Some of the other members here don't realize that from time to time it is difficult for you to obtain some of the materials and parts tha are available here in a day or two.  So when you start cutting into a part that took weeks or months to obtain you might want to make sure you are doing the right thing.  Just remember that you have some friends over here who will send you a birthday present if you need it.

And my dog, Ollie, (Prins Olav) is doing GREAT.

Best Regards,

JMC

Online Rolf

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 01:31:40 PM »
Thanks, John. Give my regards to Ollie

Best regards

Rolfkt