Author Topic: I have this old gun  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Steve G

• Starting Member
I have this old gun
« on: June 24, 2022, 10:13:24 PM »
I have this old gun. This rifle was always in my grandparent's basement. I'd like to get anyone's impression of it. My family comes from NW Ohio. The barrel wall is about 3/8" thick. a .54 cal great plains bullet is slightly loose in the barrel. Barrel length is 33".  Total length is 48".  It looks like the rear sight was changed out at some point.

Thanks everybody

Online JTR

• member 2
Re: I have this old gun
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 02:22:52 AM »
Take a close look on the top flat of the barrel, between the rear sight and the breech end, to see if there is any lettering for a makers name.
John
John Robbins

Online oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 02:51:29 AM »
  The rear sight if I'm not mistaken is made by Winchester.
Looks Ohio style to me. But the experts will chime in.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2022, 03:05:04 AM »
Makers name will be engraved or stamped into the top flat of the barrel between tang and rear sight. Did you look there? No one is asking about the rear sight. It is obviously a replacement, perhaps an upgrade. If no name it might be possible to identify a possible maker from the prominent cheekrest. It's a nice, if somewhat late half stocked gun in 'attic' condition. You are fortunate to have it and we appreciate that you brought it here to show it around. It does appear to be an Ohio gun, but could be from further west, also.
Dick