Author Topic: Bad luck turned good  (Read 1555 times)

Offline john bohan

Bad luck turned good
« on: June 21, 2022, 10:06:45 PM »
Several weeks ago here in western Pa. we had a very windy thunder storm,after it was over my wife and I were looking for blow downs and saw none. the next morning after she fed the chickens she said there was a tree down. I went out and saw a limb about 2 ft. across lying across the whole end on our chicken fence. we worked almost to dark cutting and stacking limbs and saving the fence. when I got about 7 ft from where this limb broke off I thought it could be curled,sure enough it was,so I saved this log ,took it to a man with a wood miser ended up with 4 very nice stock blanks and some boards. I don't feel so bad now.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

Re: Bad luck turned good
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 10:09:15 PM »
I used to run a Woodmizer for almost 2 years.  Very cool.

Offline john bohan

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 12:09:06 AM »
He was a young Amish man and was not sure what I wanted so he said I could help the day he sawed it. Only charged me $50.

Offline Wingshot

• Brand new NMLRA member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2022, 03:47:46 AM »
I’m a SW, NW PA (depends on the day) newbie builder. I’m currently working on an SMR from a blank I got from Allen Martian. I’d live to build a rifle with some close to home wood if you’re interested in selling a blank. PM me if you like. Cool story.

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2022, 03:53:09 AM »
I’m a SW, NW PA (depends on the day) newbie builder. I’m currently working on an SMR from a blank I got from Allen Martian. I’d live to build a rifle with some close to home wood if you’re interested in selling a blank. PM me if you like. Cool story.

Allen Martian!  He'll love that one!! ;D ;D
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline AMartin

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2022, 02:21:38 PM »
Official now ..I'm a alien !!!

Offline Longknife

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2022, 04:07:33 PM »
Allen, Your guns are "out of this world!!!!" ;)
Ed Hamberg

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2022, 02:42:17 AM »
John, does that wood have to be dried a few years before it's used for anything?  Or was the whole limb dead and dried?
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline john bohan

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2022, 04:15:15 AM »
Yes Craig it will. I have painted the ends to help with checking and cut it long also. I can have an Amish man check it with a moisture meter.