Author Topic: Bucks Ccounty LRs ......popular?  (Read 1238 times)

Offline flehto

Bucks Ccounty LRs ......popular?
« on: June 25, 2022, 08:35:40 PM »
Although Bucks County LRs were made in a relatively  short time span in history and  being that some of  the early BCs were hardly recognized as BCs, the BC LR mainly because of being a very slender rifle, is a popular build nowadays. Knob Mountain has a BC  Bplate and TG that weren't  available when I made my BCs {wish they were}, but the one BC component that has to be made today is the elongated finial RR entry pipe and  many  recent BC builds lack this component.

I've built a few styles of LRs {Lancasters, Virginas and a few others including some Hawkens}, but my favorite builds were always  the BCs and a few are shown below and some show that my BCs early on didn't have all the BC features  because of my ignorance {this info  was not widely available}.

W/in the BC styled LRs , the stock architecture varied and because I liked the slightly curved combline  and toeline, I built in the style of John Shuler who was a later BC builder as opposed to Andrew Verner who was earlier and made some of his BCs w/ a straight combline like the Lancasters  {the Verner kit is mainly the BC kit  offered by  most suppliers}.

The earlier Bc builds ate the top photos and the later BC builds are at the bottom. One last note....my carving isn't in the incised BC style...have my personal  reasons for straying. Most of my BCs have  Rice "B" weight  X 46" bbls in .50 cal. 

If photos of a particular area  or item  is wanted, let me know.....Fred

« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 10:10:42 PM by flehto »

Offline yip

Re: Bucks Ccounty LRs ......popular?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 10:02:31 PM »
  Fred; you built some really fine looking rifles and i hope to build this new rifle a near as i can to yours. but things are going a little rough but i'm trying. i'm have diffculty with the entry thimble and sitting in a chair i loose a lot of perpective.
 i hope to send you a few pics of my work soon for you to go over and ream me out :P

Offline bnewberry

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 12:35:28 AM »
I am relatively new to muzzleloaders and am just learning about different design”schools”. This is one with which I am not familiar. I like the elegance of the sweeping curve on it. Your carving is very nice as well!

Offline DavidC

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 03:25:01 AM »
I like that first rifle (are the first two images from the same gun?) but boy does that toe look so delicate! I imagine you'd want to get the toeplate on that guy as soon as possible.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 03:34:36 AM »
Beautiful work Fred.  Love the bottom one.

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline FALout

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2022, 03:59:49 AM »
I’ve often thought about building one, but am intimidated by the rear pipe.  I think you had a post on how to do that.  Your builds definitely set a high standard on how they should be built.
Bob

Offline HighUintas

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2022, 04:34:36 AM »
What is the typical length and bore size of early and late bucks county rifles?

Offline JEH

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2022, 05:07:56 AM »
I liked the bottom one also. It has lived in my stable of long guns since last fall. 46 inch B weight 50 cal. Long lean and slender. Fred does some outstanding work. In our conversation I took it this was his last one. If thats the case I'm proud to be the caretaker of it for now.

Offline alacran

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2022, 02:09:35 PM »
Fred, I have always liked your work.
There are things that modern builders can do to personalize a BC rifle such as the relief carving on your rifles.
However, there are certain things that differentiate a BC rifle from others. The side opening patch box and oversize finial on the entry pipe as well as the curved toe line to name the most salient features, but there are more.
The fleur de Lis ending of the lock panels, double incised molding forward of the lock panels as well as the thumbnail finials on the butt plate and the trigger guard.
 It also has an interesting patch box release which you made me aware of. I could not discern that feature in the BC photos in RCA #1.
To me the Bucs County guns are most appealing.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline flehto

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2022, 01:26:54 AM »
The first 2 pics are of different BCs,,,the first might be one of my earliest BCs and the 2nd down is a much later build...saw  an original BC side opener w/ side plates so I made one. All my BCs were from blanks and are modeled after John Shuler. Never made a Verner because of the straight combline but many builders did and do so.

YIP....applaud your perseverance  building BCs the way you do.

The BC mentioned by JEH was my last build because of failing eyesight and not building leaves a big gap in my daily routine.  Thanks to all for looking.....Fred