Author Topic: Powder horns and measures  (Read 1676 times)

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
Powder horns and measures
« on: June 25, 2022, 09:37:33 PM »
I thought I’d share photos of two horns and 2 measures that have been in my family for at least 6, maybe seven generations and will be going to my son when he is ready. They have been in a plexiglass showcase since WWII. The showcase is made from plexiglass salvaged from a plane wreck.

"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline jdm

• member 2
Re: Powder horns and measures
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 09:58:09 PM »
WONDERFUL!!! Antique measurers are hard to come by and you've got two passed down through the family. Wow !  Thanks for showing the set here.  I confess I don't know what the cockelbur is for and I probably should.  Jim
JIM

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 11:24:37 PM »
  I confess I don't know what the cockelbur is for and I probably should.  Jim

That is a dried thistle flower rather than a cocklebur. Given the thistle's strong Scottish symbolism I'd guess there is a family connection there. Sequatchie?

Nice family collection by the way.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Shopdog

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2022, 11:26:27 PM »
That is a great thing to have in the family!  The case and salvaged plexi are worth a story in and of itself.  Many thanks for sharing.
Joe
Joe Davis
“We live in a bloody swamp! We need all the land we can get!

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 12:52:48 AM »
 Pretty neat, what us the strap retainer on the neck of the large horn made from?

Tim

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2022, 01:16:24 AM »

I confess I don't know what the cockelbur is for and I probably should.  Jim
[/quote]

That is a dried thistle flower rather than a cocklebur. Given the thistle's strong Scottish symbolism I'd guess there is a family connection there.
I should have caught that.

So much for my Scottish  heritage . I hope I don't lose my membership in the scotch drinkers club. 
JIM

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2022, 03:42:34 AM »
Nice ancestral display, Bill! You are very fortunate to have those items. Any idea where the rifles went? I know where one went out of my family; to the local dump. The women in my mothers's family were 'non gun folk' and dictated that there would be no guns around. So... Thank you for letting us have a look at your treasures. I did get some really fine Indian relics though. At least my grandmothers were not against those.
Dick

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2022, 06:14:16 AM »
Thanks for the kind comments. Dick, it pains me to here of such a travesty. The thistle has been with them as far back as anyone can remember. There is a thistle on our family crest and my family came from the Scottish Highlands arriving before the Revolution. The straps are leather.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2022, 06:31:12 AM »
You have a great heritage; there is much there to be proud of. Just an aside, the olde thistle has pretty well kept some color. It is from the Highlands, by any chance?
Dick

Offline alacran

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2022, 02:22:02 PM »
Could the dried thistle be used for cleaning instead of tow, or for wadding? Cool measures and horn.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Kevin

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2022, 06:05:58 PM »
It is really great that these family items have stayed together over the years.  Thanks for sharing the images of them.

Kevin

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2022, 06:55:55 PM »
Really neat display and to know the history behind them.  Thanks for sharing.

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2022, 04:34:11 AM »
Thanks for all the comment. The thistle was placed there by my grandfather as a reminder of our Scottish ancestry.

Offline MountainSmoke

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2022, 10:55:27 PM »
Beautiful display. Fascinating to think about the stories those things could tell. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2022, 12:51:11 AM »
What a treasure! Imagine the stories it could tell if it only could!? Very nice and thanks for sharing these great pics!