Author Topic: 18th Century Folk Art Powder Horn  (Read 3488 times)

Offline Fullstock longrifle

18th Century Folk Art Powder Horn
« on: June 26, 2022, 03:46:58 AM »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: 18th Century Folk Art Powder Horn
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 04:58:14 AM »
Wow! Thanks for sharing.
Andover, Vermont

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 06:02:41 AM »
Great old horn. Thanks for posting.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 06:27:11 AM »
That is a might fine horn! The carving is quite well done and the horn by itself if a dandy. Thank you for showing it here. Much appreciated, and you can bring those around anytime!
Dick

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 02:52:50 PM »
Glad to share guys, and I’m glad you enjoy seeing some of my horns.

Offline Kevin

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2022, 06:03:46 PM »
That is a very fine horn.  Thanks for sharing the pics of it.

Kevin

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2022, 08:08:06 PM »
That is a very fine horn.  Thanks for sharing the pics of it.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2022, 09:16:54 PM »
That is one SPECTACULAR horn.  I don't even know if using the term 'folk art' does it justice because the decorator certainly knew his business and the horner (whether the same guy or not) shaped it quite well, to my non-horny ( ;D ) eye.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2022, 10:15:04 PM »
That is one SPECTACULAR horn.  I don't even know if using the term 'folk art' does it justice because the decorator certainly knew his business and the horner (whether the same guy or not) shaped it quite well, to my non-horny ( ;D ) eye.

Lol! You definitely have a way with words Eric, thank you for your kind words and humor, I liked both. 😁

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2022, 08:25:42 PM »
Frank,  I noticed the chip carving doesn't go all the way around on the spout. I have a large 18th century horn that is the same way.  I just thought the maker didn't finish it. Now  I'm kind of wondering. Have you seen this before ? 

By the way that is a very fine horn you have.  Thank you for showing it here. Jim
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 01:10:33 AM by jdm »
JIM

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2022, 03:20:41 PM »
Frank,  I noticed the chip carving doesn't go all the way around on the spout. I have a large 18th century horn that is the same way.  I just thought the maker didn't finish it. Now  I'm kind of wondering. Have you seen this before ? 

By the way that is a very fine horn you have.  Thank you for showing it here. Jim

Thank you for the kind words about the horn.

I noticed the same thing Jim, and no I haven’t. It seems that it was made that way on purpose though, especially if you own one made the same way. It would be interesting to know if others have seen this done on period horns.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2022, 03:25:23 AM »
Well I agree, that's a beauty of a horn!
Thanks for the pictures!
John
John Robbins

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2022, 05:02:37 PM »
Very nice horn👍

Bob
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2022, 09:54:09 PM »

I noticed the same thing Jim, and no I haven’t. It seems that it was made that way on purpose though, especially if you own one made the same way. It would be interesting to know if others have seen this done on period horns.

Shot in the dark; I'm wondering if that was done as an indicator, so you could easily tell how the horn was positioned in your hand. Pretty far out there...

Tim C. 

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2022, 12:18:32 AM »
Tim, So far thar's the best idea. I'll get mine out and see how it lays.  Here is the spout on it.

JIM

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2022, 04:28:11 PM »

Shot in the dark; I'm wondering if that was done as an indicator, so you could easily tell how the horn was positioned in your hand. Pretty far out there...

Tim C.

I think you’re right Tim, makes sense to me.

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2022, 12:48:40 AM »
Wow! Thats one amazing horn. The drawing of the buildings looks quite well done and I think raised the quality above the "Folk Art" realm, though the florals do give it that naive quality.
The artist may have just stopped doing the chip carving at the neck because he changed his mind on what he wanted to do. It looks like the points were done between the scribed arches and he just gave up because it was getting too messy/busy around there. Who knows, but it happens! Its a really beautiful horn, congratulations. It looks to be in a great home now.
Any indication of what period/region?

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2022, 02:14:38 AM »
Wow! Thats one amazing horn. The drawing of the buildings looks quite well done and I think raised the quality above the "Folk Art" realm, though the florals do give it that naive quality.
The artist may have just stopped doing the chip carving at the neck because he changed his mind on what he wanted to do. It looks like the points were done between the scribed arches and he just gave up because it was getting too messy/busy around there. Who knows, but it happens! Its a really beautiful horn, congratulations. It looks to be in a great home now.
Any indication of what period/region?

Thank you for the kind words about my horn Bob. I’m not sure of the region it’s from, probably New England, but I’m confident it’s 18th century. It looks like it could be Rev War period, but without a date or a name, there’s no way to be sure.

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2022, 05:36:31 AM »
That’s one nice horn !
Thanks for sharing.
Bob
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2022, 09:47:05 PM »
Regarding the partial engrailing,  how many chips does it have?   
Something like 13 to 15 by chance?   Shot in the dark, but wondering if it was related to the (then) current number of states.   One of those prominent buildings might be on a National Historic list.  If there is enough detail to match it up, it would give you a town and an age range.  Could circulate pics to state agency personnel who might recognize it.  Some thoughts.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 09:53:59 PM by Top Jaw »

Offline Jennison

• Starting Member
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2022, 08:30:23 PM »
Does it appear there was once a lobe that’s been broken off or do you think the through-holes were the original method of strap attachment?  What a beautiful example. 

Jennison
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 08:34:54 PM by Jennison »

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2022, 04:37:46 AM »
Regarding the partial engrailing,  how many chips does it have?   
Something like 13 to 15 by chance?   Shot in the dark, but wondering if it was related to the (then) current number of states.   One of those prominent buildings might be on a National Historic list.  If there is enough detail to match it up, it would give you a town and an age range.  Could circulate pics to state agency personnel who might recognize it.  Some thoughts.

I just saw your question and checked, it has 22 chips.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 04:43:18 AM by Fullstock longrifle »

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2022, 04:40:11 AM »
Does it appear there was once a lobe that’s been broken off or do you think the through-holes were the original method of strap attachment?  What a beautiful example. 

Jennison

I think there was a lobe that broke off Jennison and the two holes were later addition.