Author Topic: I need a teacher.  (Read 1514 times)

Offline StarnesRowan

• Starting Member
I need a teacher.
« on: June 27, 2022, 01:37:34 AM »
Does anyone have any knowledge about a gunmaking class where you build from a blank or of a gunmaker in NC that would be willing to teach a friend and myself the ropes.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
Re: I need a teacher.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 02:55:59 AM »
   Check with Jim Chambers flintlocks  talk to Barbie.

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 03:14:54 AM »
Not really a teacher, but maybe it will help some.

https://rumble.com/user/BillRaby

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 03:28:52 AM »
IF you have no experience in building a longrifle it will help you to study up with the several books, videos or U Tube to give you a basic understanding of the gun and it making. You could buy one of the many kits out there but making one from a blank like you mentioned is very do able and more educational IMHO. Once you have a basic understanding of it a mentor will be better able to help you with the build.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 03:53:05 AM »
I teach a class starting from a blank. We work out if the education building  at the NMLRA.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline StarnesRowan

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 05:33:25 AM »
I have built a Jim Chambers lancaster at the class that he holds.

Offline M. E. Pering

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 06:24:55 AM »
StarnesRowan... Perhaps some clarification is in order.  What is it you wish to learn specifically?  I have heard Jim Chambers' class is pretty thorough, so there must be some specific knowledge you are seeking.  The range of topics from metallurgy to woodworking to artwork is contained within the gun building subject, so tell us what you wish to learn.

Offline StarnesRowan

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2022, 01:11:40 PM »
I know how to inlet for the most plart but I have never shaped a stock. I want to kearn how as well as how to do relife carving. I left the lancaster as a plain rifle but want to do a fantasy one next

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2022, 03:41:49 PM »
Does anyone have any knowledge about a gunmaking class where you build from a blank or of a gunmaker in NC that would be willing to teach a friend and myself the ropes.

Where are you located?

Offline c deperro

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2022, 05:49:54 PM »
There are lots of classes offered. The NMLRA class at Western KY . The Southern Ohio Artisan Workshops. I think people like Mike Brooks and Jim Parker offer private classes. Also American Pioneer video has an excellent DVD Mark Silver stocking a long rifle.

Offline StarnesRowan

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2022, 08:00:20 PM »
I am located in salisbury NC

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2022, 06:43:16 PM »
I am located in salisbury NC

I'm in Randleman which is a little far away for "classes", but I think there is a builder in Lexington if I can find his name I'll send it too you. There are shooters in the Charlotte/Salisbury area and they have matches in Statesville which is pretty close to you. Maybe you can hit a match and meet some people.
https://www.nrlhf.org/
https://stepoutside.org/range/rowan-county-wildlife-association-a2415000000b5a2aac.html  Some events here

I realize these don't exactly address the building part but you may be able to meet some people.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 06:52:35 PM by Clowdis »