Author Topic: Pattern wanted, ideas needed  (Read 1238 times)

Offline Gaeckle

Pattern wanted, ideas needed
« on: August 03, 2022, 04:27:26 PM »
I have a 34 inch smooth bore barrel, an original, bore is very good. It's been breeched, have a breech plug. I have a slab of walnut that I got from Ron Scott, it's a second, nothing fancy, grain favors a wrist. Got locks, got antique hardware: butplates and trigger guards.

What I'm looking for are ideas, patterns. I have patterns but they are for percussion rifles, southern styles, Lancaster stuff. I am thinking in terms of trade gun, fusil, short barreled woods thumper. I think the barrel is close to 12 Guage, but I'd have to measure.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Pattern wanted, ideas needed
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 05:17:10 PM »
Another good option for a short, big bore smoothbore is a cavalry carbine. Check out Jim Mullin’s book Of Sorts for Provincials. There are several in there. The Rifle Shoppe has a couple cool examples.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 06:08:48 PM »
Let me see your hardware options. That will probably dictate what you should build.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 06:21:00 PM »
Let me see your hardware options. That will probably dictate what you should build.

If the hardware options don't  jive, I can always get some of your stuff. I need to  dig it out and take pics

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 04:18:12 AM »
Here are butplates and trigger guards, all old antiques

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 03:03:50 PM »
You'll be doing an english fowling gun in walnut post 1800, either 1/2 stock or full stock. I'd like to borrow that acorn finial trigger guard to make some castings off of. In fact, What ever parts you decide to use I could make castings of so you don't have to use the original parts....I always keep original parts as study pieces. Of course I'm a little odd too.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Goo

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 02:41:34 PM »
I think you should build a Dutch or Hudson valley but the barrel might be too short.
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2022, 04:55:24 PM »
And the hardware would be completely wrong.

Offline Not English

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2022, 05:02:01 AM »
I'd take Mike up on his offer. I think his advice about English is probably spot on as well. They look very English to me as well.