Author Topic: Cleaning patches that Dru Hedgecock used to sell  (Read 909 times)

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Cleaning patches that Dru Hedgecock used to sell
« on: July 23, 2022, 09:30:45 PM »
At the CLA Show several years ago I bought a case of cleaning patches from Dru Hedgecock.  They were the best cleaning patches I've ever used.  I've used them all up and would like to find some more.  Unfortunately Mr. Hedgecock has passed on.

The patches were not retail packaged as "gun cleaning patches".  There were several thousand patches stacked in a plastic bag, inside a cardboard box a little smaller than a shoebox.  The only marking on the box was "wiping cloths", no manufacturer or distributor info.  The patches were about 2" square, IIRC, tightly woven and thick.  They were knapped on one side.

Do any of you fellows know who made these wiping cloths/cleaning patches, or who might be selling them now?  Thanks.

Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Marcruger

Re: Cleaning patches that Dru Hedgecock used to sell
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 12:47:00 PM »
Hi Ron,
I do not know the source for your preferred patches.  If you cannot locate them and need a good alternative as a backup, I would suggest Butch’s Bore Shine heavy cotton twill patches. They come in various sizes, and I have found them to be excellent. Very tough.
Best wishes in your search. God bless, Marc

Offline Maven

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 06:08:31 PM »
Also consider 100% (heavy) cotton flannel, which is widely available from Walmart, Jo Ann Fabrics, et. al.:  inexpensive and effective.
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2022, 07:12:25 PM »
Thanks guys.  I got a surprise this morning.  One of my buddies from our local shooting club saw my post and brought me an unopened case of the Hedgecock patches.  He had bought them years ago.  I'm set for a while now.  Thanks Steve!

Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 03:21:12 AM »
I wonder if those are Army surplus.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 01:59:29 PM »
They sound like the army surplus patches I used to buy back in the 70's-80's when I shot benchrest. One of the vendors at matches sold them. I have not seen any in years. I would like to buy some of anyone turns up a source.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson