Author Topic: Newbie Wants to Acquire a Jaeger  (Read 1037 times)

Offline RedheadedRabbit

• Starting Member
Newbie Wants to Acquire a Jaeger
« on: July 30, 2022, 02:07:23 AM »
Hi.   New member of ALR and new to blackpowder.  I do have some experience shooting a Lyman Great Plains Hunter rifle and Plains pistol.  Both are 50-cal and percussion cap. 

I'm looking to develop a persona for the group of folks I shoot with.  I'm settling on a Prussian/German immigrant living in the Colonies during the American Revolutionary War.  My persona has decided to side with the Revolutionaries as a civilian volunteer.  My firearm will be a Jaeger rifle.

I made this choice because a smoothbore does not appeal to me.  And my instincts tell me the ergonomics of a Jaeger rifle will fit better than a colonial long rifle. 

So now I need a rifle.  Can anyone give any recommendations, please, for a Jeager?  Either a complete, ready to shoot rifle or a "kit" would be acceptable. It must be a flintlock to be period correct.  Not sure what the international reach of this forum is but I'm an American.

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Newbie Wants to Acquire a Jaeger
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2022, 02:16:44 AM »
It's the world wide web ;) You can check TOTW web site or this forum's  want to sell section.

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2022, 03:22:03 AM »
When you grow up grasshopper…..the Smoothbore will call your name…

Offline alacran

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2022, 02:34:58 PM »
All it takes is money. However, the description of your persona is not detailed enough, to determine if your choice would be correct.
A jaeger would have been an expensive rifle then as it is today. The rest of your persona would have to reflect the means to afford such a rifle.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2022, 05:00:03 PM »
I have seen very few correctly styled contemporary jeagers in my day. Most are too big and too generic. There were schools of gunmaking in Europe just like here in colonial America.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2022, 05:47:48 PM »
^^^
What Mike says above.

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2022, 07:04:02 PM »
Roughly how much are you looking to spend on the rifle? It's difficult to recommend something without having some idea regarding the budget set aside for that item.

Offline Not English

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2022, 07:25:25 PM »
Nessmuck, how right you are. My smothies outnumber the rifles, although I do have a jaeger on the bench.

Offline RedheadedRabbit

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2022, 08:31:13 PM »
Thank you all for the responses.  I now know there are more aspects to consider.    This is all exploratory so I could well end up going in a different direction.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2022, 09:01:12 PM »
Anyone care to give an opinion on the R.E. Davis Jaeger kit ?

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2022, 09:07:41 PM »
Would an Edward Marshal style rifle fit into this topic?

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2022, 09:49:07 PM »
Glad you finally got on this site. If you plan on mostly shooting on our monthly trail walk and at the range a smoothbore would work. See you next Saturday if it don't get shut down due to heat and dryness.
The Jim Chambers Christian Springs-Edward Marshall kit would be a real good fit for what you are trying for. Right area, right era.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 09:57:07 PM by MuskratMike »
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline RedheadedRabbit

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2022, 06:55:40 AM »
Hi Mike!  Yeah, finally got on.  I'll start looking at those suggestions.