Author Topic: Powder Horn value?  (Read 793 times)

KJGriff

Powder Horn value?
« on: June 28, 2022, 09:42:07 PM »
I am new to this forum. I thought I sent a message a few days ago regarding my powder horn, did not see that it got posted, or was of no interest or I am doing this wrong. So, I will try again.
The powder horn was used as a prop during school plays at my Boston high school. It was given to me during my 1969/70 school year while part of a teacher led clean up mission in our school's attic. Just curious if it has any monetary value or just a nice piece from a bygone era. It looked nice on my gun rack along with a percussion, black powder, 69 caliber, rifle I built from a kit during my late high school years, along with a Civil War era Snyder Enfield percussion rifle, all since sold. I kept the powder horn.

Offline Frank Barker

Re: Powder Horn value?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 01:51:28 PM »
WOW !  It does look like an old horn, somewhat older than 1970's. Is the scrimshaw of your addition or was it already on the horn ?

Birddog6

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 03:36:10 PM »
From what I have seen, unless it is a well known maker & it is obvious, I have found them to have little monetary
value.  Most of the old horns are just basic horns & anyone could make one. Oh, there are valued high in some antique
stores & I go back years later & they are still there.  Like the value is what someone will pay for it. I bought a pretty
nice one this weekend for $ 15. & it is old.  But again, it is not worth much unless a guy really wants it or collects them.
Also it is easy to fake age them & there are allot of fakes out there in antique shops. 

Now there are some well known horn makers that get a good $ for their horns & Should, but these guy do some Serious artwork on them & they are top notch horns & art. Also they are made So much much better than the old ones.  I feel
some day they will go for some Serious $ if they are marked & the maker is well known.

I have 2-3 I bought from a old man at a Territorial match ? 10-15 yrs ago that are pretty nice. I need to find out
who he was & write his name down.  Who knows, he may end up famous & them be worth something some day.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 04:38:16 PM »
What they are worth is what they will sell for. But if I am interested in a horn that appears to be original, I ask myself, “what would it cost to have this made today?”  Then I figure, this was there when it happened. Then I set my offer price accordingly.

Small-ish (<12”) plain old horns are common and usually later than my timeframe of interest. This looks a little bigger and has some character. If I owned it and liked it I’d not take less than $70 for it. Try getting one made and aged for that. Just my approach.
Andover, Vermont

KJGriff

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 11:42:48 PM »
Frank: yes, definitely older than the 70's. The scrimshaw name Joseph Adams is original to the horn, I believe. Was there when I picked it up. The name may be a popular name, but if it's the Joseph Adams, of Braintree, Mass., mid 1600's great grandson to President John Adams and great great grandson of President John Quincy Adams, that would be quite a piece. And yes, quite a stretch to assume that. I did get it in Boston. Appears to be wooden nails attaching the wooden piece to the end of the horn and the blood stains are interesting. Who knows for sure.
D. Keith: agree, only worth what someone will pay. More of a conversation piece than monetary value.
Rich: appreciate your input.

Thanks to you all for your input. I wish I still had my percussion, black powder, rifle.  I had so much fun with it in the woods of Maine back in the day.